Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Surprised by What Comes Out of the Mouths of My Grandchildren!

 

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Did you enjoy confirmation classes when you were young?  If you were a Lutheran Christian as a young adolescent you attended confirmation, or catechism classes.  Other traditions have other kinds of training for young people.  In my younger days, back in the mid-1960’s, these classes were held for 2 hours on Saturday morning.  Classes usually included the memorization of 10 pages a week for 20 weeks from the catechism.  It took work to memorize, and there was a little fear if we had not prepared well enough.  I remember satisfaction if I felt I had done a good job in class. But I did not invite any of my friends to attend with me, and I don’t remember laughing much.

 

Confirmation classes were different for young people attending at St. John.  Students in grades 6, 7, and 8 would come to church after school on Wednesdays.  Confirmation was more learning of Bible stories and growing in Christian knowledge than memory, and most memory was Bible verses.  But confirmation also included opening prayers, games, snacks (that were sometimes a whole meal), classes, and closing worship.  Children were somehow always bringing friends from school to our confirmation sessions, and some even joined the church.  The youth seemed to have a good time, maybe sometimes too good, because we needed behavior standards.

 

One of the regrets I had as I retired at the end of August 2019 was that, even though my grandchildren were coming to confirmation class age, I would not be teaching them these lessons about our Lord and Savior.  Josh’s oldest son, Jake, started attending classes in the 2019-2020 school year.  His daughter, Emma, and Andy’s son, Jackson, started confirmation classes this year.  Of course, COVID has thrown a wrench into all social gatherings.  Our grandkids are not attending school in person, the same for confirmation class.  Since I was asked last fall to return and serve part-time at St. John, I took on teaching “Saturday Confirmation.”  But COVID made it difficult for teacher and students to gather in person.  So we have held Zoom Confirmation Classes on Saturday mornings, and are working through 100 Bible Stories in 20 weeks.  In addition to my 3 grandchildren another young lady, Kambree, has also attended.

 

I have been surprised at how much fun they seem to have in these classes.  When the cuckoo clock goes off in my home, all four students on my computer screen raise their hands in the air and wave them back and forth.  During class on February 27, we learned about the prophecy and birth of John the Baptist.  We heard how John was named at his circumcision.  When one of my grandsons asked what circumcision is I brought his grandmother to the screen to explain.  The girls covered their faces with their books, and the look of anguish on the face of the boys . . . well you understand.

 

This week their joking around while they were learning had me laughing, and Kathy listening in the background had her shoulders bouncing as she laughed out loud.  The class was studying about the Magi, and the flight of Joseph and Mary and Jesus into Egypt.  Emma was reading the story.  But, Emma has a personality.  She can joke around while learning.  In fact, all 4 of the Zoom Confirmation students seem to joke during class.  She was reading how, after the wise men or magi had seen baby Jesus, God told them to return home a different way than they had arrived.  They were not to return through Jerusalem, and not to tell King Herod what they had seen. 

 

As Emma read the story she said, “In a dream God warned Margi not to return to Harold.”  (It was supposed to read, “In a dream God warned the Magi not to return to Herod.”)  I asked, “What?  Who?”  She repeated it again.  Everyone else started giggling.  Kathy was bouncing up and down with laughter as she heard this exchange across the room.  I asked again, “Harold?”  Yup, Emma repeated again, “In a dream God warned Margi not to return to Harold.”  Then, acting like a TV reporter, she put her pencil to her mouth.  It was Jackson’s turn to read.  But, Emma spoke into her pencil-microphone, “Back to you, Harold.”

 

I have shared before that I believe Scripture when it calls parents to teach their children about Him and His Word.  In Deuteronomy 6 God teaches His people, 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”  (Deuteronomy 6:6-7)

 

God moved Solomon to write in  Proverbs 22:6 “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.”

 

And St Paul wrote to Timothy, “14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.”  Timothy learned about God from infancy.  As you see, God wants parents to teach their children about Him.

 

I pray daily, by name, for many people.  But I always mention family and pray for them to know God and His saving love for them in Jesus.  I truly believe that it is important to teach God’s Word to my children and grandchildren, because, Scriptures . . . are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.”  My grandchildren are learning that God loves them, that God showed that love for them in the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus on the cross to pay for our sins.  They are learning that Jesus rose to win eternal life for all who believe in Him. 

 

And, when you can laugh that “In a dream God warned Margi not to return to Harold,” maybe they are enjoying learning and they will “continue in what [they] have learned.”

 

A Child of God, Surprised By What Comes Out of the Mouths of my Grandchildren!

Pastor Jonathan


P.S.  Kathy and I are traveling this week with family.  We are in Helen, GA, with my sister and brother and their spouses.  Kathy’s birthday is on the 10th of March.  She tells me every year, “When I was a child in Memphis there were always daffodils for my birthday.”  This year we got her daffodils in Georgia. 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MUrtj1ZFLsTZHEpJ8

 

 

P.P.S.  I did go fishing a couple of times.  Here are pictures from two trips at the Rodman Reservoir in Orange Springs, FL.

·       On Thursday, March 4, I went fishing with brother-in-law Mark Reaves.  Here are pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/1K9bFieWofeZHmTBA

 

·       On Friday, March 5, I went fishing with friend, Dustin Kunkel.  Here are some more pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hi9oootXMbL6UxdBA

 

·       On Tuesday, March 9, my brother Stephen and I fished at Unicoi State Park in Helen, Georgia.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/ukvoVxy9SkjEiHKQA

 

 

 

*****



ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God." 

Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)  Perhaps you also know that I “killed” my computer on November 7, 2020.  In so doing I lost, for a time at least, all my e-mail contacts.  So, I was really goofed up.  Many who were receiving this devotion each week were no longer receiving it.  I tried to rebuild my distribution list, but I am not sure how accurate I have been. 

            So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

            My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

                                                                        *******

 

 

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

cell phone - 907-841-4066

Home phone - 907-746-5131

 

No comments:

Post a Comment