Wednesday, May 19, 2021

There is ONE Thing Necessary

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Last week I went to the Grizzly fitness center to work out.  I’ve worked out a few times this month since Kathy and I returned from Florida, and this session of exercise was especially good.  I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical, lifted weights on six different machines, and did two types of stretching exercises.  Then I walked a mile on the track.  As I said, it was a good workout! 

 

At the recommendation of a trainer at the fitness center a couple of years ago I purchased a fitbit as part of taking care of myself.  I’ve learned to appreciate looking to see how many steps I’ve taken, how fast my heart beat while exercising, and how many calories I burned.  I even check my sleep patterns.  (Kathy, however, says she can tell me how I slept by my snoring, even without my fitbit.  Sigh!)  However, on the day of this good workout last week, I left my fitbit home charging.  I complained to Kathy, “I would have recorded lots of steps on my fitbit for my good workout.  But, because I left my watch at home, I don’t get any credit.”  Kathy usually responds wisely and advised me, “It’s not the steps on your device that are important.  You got the good workout.  That’s what really matters.”  Of course, Kathy was right . . . again.

 

All of this can seem frivolous, but I was reminded of what is truly and ultimately important by an experience this past weekend.  I was asked by a friend at church to help him assist a lady who was very ill.  My help for this woman did not have anything to do with my being a pastor.  So, I went with my friend to visit the lady on Friday, and while getting to know one another I found out that she had a Lutheran faith background from childhood long ago.  She and I visited about her faith heritage, and I asked her if she would like me to read to her from Scripture and perhaps pray for her.  I had brought my Bible, just in case.  The lady replied “yes”, to the surprise of my friend.  In fact, even though we would not be able to finalize the help I was asked to provide until Monday, she nevertheless asked if I would return the next day and give her communion.  This lady who was very ill had not received the Lord’s Supper since she was a young person far away from Alaska. 

 

So, on Saturday I visited this lady again and read her some more Bible verses; this time I read from Romans 8:35-39.  In spite of her illness we discussed the grace and love of God in Jesus, and I communed her.  Then, on Monday morning I returned to provide the specific help for which I had originally been called.  But, in the hour or so before I arrived, this lady had passed away.  I did not get to help this woman with the task which I was originally asked to perform.  Nevertheless, something much more important happened.  This lady was re-connected with her Lord and Savior.  Her faith was re-kindled.  She received His promised forgiveness in the sacrament.  I believe that in these short visits this woman again received the eternal life Jesus came to give.

 

Jesus once visited Martha and Mary and their brother, Lazarus, some friends of His in Bethany, and He taught them about what is was truly important.  While Jesus visited, Martha was busy preparing a meal for their honored guest.  But, while Martha worked Mary sat at Jesus’ feet listening to the words of life which He shared.  Martha complained to Jesus that her sister was not assisting with the preparation.  But, Jesus taught Martha what is really important. “41 Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."  (Luke 10:38-42, especially verses 41-42)

 

How often, like Martha, do we become distracted from what is really important?  We are all sinners who deserve the judgment of God for our selfish rebellion against our Creator.  But, in love and grace God has taken the punishment we deserve onto Himself in the person of His Son, Jesus.  God offers forgiveness, He gives life and salvation by His grace through faith in our Savior, Jesus.  Keeping this relationship of faith with our Lord healthy is THE most important thing we can do in this life. 

 

So, are you keeping what is truly important as the primary concern of your life?  Are you paying attention to your faith through worship, through personal reading of Scripture and prayer, through the gift of God’s sacraments, and through fellowship with other Christians?  In love, God sent Jesus and He saves us through faith in Him.  This faith in Jesus is the “one thing needed.”

 

Jesus told another friend, Nicodemus, “16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.”  (John 3:16-18)  God has acted in sacrificial love because, as sinners, we cannot save ourselves through our works.  God wants us to receive His love so much that He allowed His Son to suffer, and sent His Son to die, so that we might have life.  Our relationship with God through faith is the most important relationship in our lives.  But, if we neglect our faith, if we lose our relationship with God through Jesus, we can lose our eternal life.  We can miss out on what is truly, eternally important.  Do we, like Martha, become worried, and distracted by other seemingly important tasks? Do we miss what is really important?

 

At the end of this lady’s life God’s love in Jesus broke through again.  Her relationship with her Savior was reborn.  She regained her Most Important Possession!  I was personally touched and amazed by the gift of sharing Jesus and his love with this lady, with this friend of my friend.  What a wonderful opportunity to help someone receive the forgiveness and eternal life God won for us in Jesus.  Jesus says, “only one thing is needed.”  Is your faith receiving the attention and focus which that “one thing” deserves in your life?

 

Child of God, Living in and Sharing the ONE Thing Necessary,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  We started our yard and garden work this week.  Here is the beginning of what we have done.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/ALbHbuZsRyv1qyP68

 

P.P.S.  The boat is in the shop for work on the trailer – hopefully fishing this coming week – maybe for HALIBUT on the Kenai with friend Fred Vasilie.

 

 

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God." 

Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)  Perhaps you also know that I “killed” my computer on November 7, 2020.  In so doing I lost, for a time at least, all my e-mail contacts.  So, I was really goofed up.  Many who were receiving this devotion each week were no longer receiving it.  I tried to rebuild my distribution list, but I am not sure how accurate I have been. 

            So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

            My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment