Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Who are your friends? How do you show real friendship to others?

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Do you have friends?  I’m not asking if you have folks who are simply acquaintances.  Do you have people who really care about you, people who seek to help in all times of life?  A true friend provides love through their time and their actions.  Real love does not take, it gives.  So, a friend is someone who gives of themselves to help you.  Do you have a friend, or real friends? 

 

This past week I have been blessed twice by friends on the Kenai Peninsula.  First the Mize family has blessed me.  I met Wayne and Mary Mize in the mid 1990’s through church business.  Together we share faith in Jesus, and I have come to know the Mize’s through many and varied activities and ministries of the Lutheran Church in Alaska.  I served on committees with Mary, and I have been fishing with Wayne.  So, when my wife, Kathy, and I began looking at a small cabin on the Kenai in 2018, Wayne was right there.  He helped in the moving of the cabin. Wayne also helped me with clearing our lot and setting up our cabin.  They offered their home as a place of storage.  Wayne and Mary met our dog, Mat, and welcomed him into their home.  In fact, the Mizes and their dogs have grown to care for Mat.  So, when we have traveled, without my asking, Mary offered to keep Mat for us while we were gone.  You know that watching someone’s dog for a couple of days is a gift.  But, caring for someone’s dog for months at a time is an enormous act of giving.  Let me assure you, Wayne and Mary don’t just offer Mat an outside doghouse in the Alaskan winter.  In some ways Mat has become part of the Mize family.  They feed him better and more often than we do.  My wife calls the Mize home “The Doggie Spa.”  And when I gave them a gift certificate to help pay for dogfood, I was told, “Don’t do that again.”  What a gift!  What friends! 

 

I was also blessed this week by another friend, Fred Vasilie.  Fred took me and some others halibut fishing.  I’ve known Fred’s family for about 30 years.  In the past Fred often asked me to go fishing with him, but I was usually busy as pastor of St. John Lutheran Church and I somehow never found time to fish with him.  However, since 2017 Fred has taken me halibut fishing along with different groups of my friends.  Do you know what a guided halibut fishing trip costs?  But, Fred is not a guide, he is a friend.  He is a man who knows Jesus and knows Jesus’ love. Fred often shows that love to family and friends with fishing trips.  So, this past Tuesday, before an Alaska Church Worker’s Conference, Fred took me fishing, along with Licensed Deacon, Gerry Zellar and our friend Tom Anderson.  Fred also took Pastor Bill Hilgendorf and Pastor Craig Schultz on this trip.  During these trips with Fred I have enjoyed the privilege of discussing the love and the goodness of God.  We often share prayer requests.  Believe it or not, the love of Jesus fills Fred’s boat, at least in my experience.  To be able to experience the beauty of God’s creation in Alaska, and to share faith and friendship is a real gift!  Thank you, Fred!

 

The book of Proverbs shares God’s wisdom about friends and friendship.  Perhaps you know the truth of Proverbs 17:17, “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.” Do you have friends that you trust, who care for you in times of great trial?  God also teaches us in Proverbs 18:24, “A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.”  What a gift to have someone who cares, who listens, and who helps, just because of who they are – a friend!

 

It is very important to remember that our best friend is Jesus.  On the night Jesus was betrayed, on the night when He instituted the Lord’s Supper, after washing the disciples’ feet, before His prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus called His disciples friends.  He calls us friends. Please read these verses from John 15.  13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.”

 

If an earthly friend listens to us, if they care for us, if they love us and give of themselves for us, then Jesus befriended us even more than any other true friend we have.  A friend shows patience and kindness.  Think how patiently and kindly Jesus treated His disciples, and thankfully consider Jesus’ patience and kindness toward us!  Friends listen to us.  Jesus teaches about prayer and, as God, He listens to us and answer our prayers.  Friends help in times of trial. Think how Jesus is our Good Shepherd who is with us in the Valley of the Shadow of Death.  True friends give of themselves to help us.  But, Jesus gives his very life for us to give forgiveness us and eternal life.  As Jesus taught, “13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.”  Jesus is truly our very best friend.

 

I pray you have a true friend, or true friends.  So I will also ask, are you a friend to others?  I hope that I am a true friend.  I hope that I listen, that I care, that I help, and that I give of myself.  Actually, the best gift I can give to one of my friends in this world, is to share my best friend, Jesus. 

 

As I write this devotion, Wayne Mize is taking care of our dog.  This week Fred took me and some of my other friends fishing.  Saying “thank you” to them seems too small a way to show appreciation to these friends.   Who are your friends?  How do you show real friendship to others?

 

A Child of God, Thankful for Christian Friends,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here is our dog, Mat, at the home of Wayne and Mary Mize on Saturday evening, May 22.  Does Mat look relaxed? Thank you, Wayne and Mary!  https://photos.app.goo.gl/gp9kcaqLC5ehRD838

 

P.P.S.  As I wrote above, Sterling friend, Fred Vasilie, had room in his boat for some fellow fishermen before the beginning of the Alaska Workers’ Conference.  What a day of halibut fishing!  Thank you, Fred!  https://photos.app.goo.gl/DG6DdN16fAwRcoGT7

 

P.P.S.  I do keep working on our garden, but have no new pictures this week.  We will pick volunteer spinach this coming week. (Last year’s spinach re-seeded itself again.)

 

 

 

 

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God." 

Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)  Perhaps you also know that I “killed” my computer on November 7, 2020.  In so doing I lost, for a time at least, all my e-mail contacts.  So, I was really goofed up.  Many who were receiving this devotion each week were no longer receiving it.  I tried to rebuild my distribution list, but I am not sure how accurate I have been. 

            So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

            My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

cell phone - 907-841-4066

Home phone - 907-746-5131

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment