Wednesday, December 1, 2021

I WANT to be Ready for "Redemption Day!"

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

On Friday, November 26 – the day after Thanksgiving, I went fishing with my brother, Stephen, on the Withlacoochee River in Florida.  On the day of the trip with Stephen the water was high and the river was moving fast.  In addition, my trolling motor acted up, so we just floated quickly downstream.  We cast our lines and didn’t get a lot of bites. But, every time we did get a bite we were first a little surprised, and then we were moving so fast we couldn’t let the fish really take the bait.  I tell you about my fishing because, if a fisherman really hopes and expects to catch a fish, you don’t want to be surprised by the bite.  On this trip to Florida I have been fishing 8 times so far.  But, the trip with Stephen was the only time this fall I’ve been skunked. 

 

Last Sunday was the first Sunday in the church season of Advent.  The word Advent means “coming.”  It is a time that Christians remind themselves of the coming of Jesus.  Jesus came to us that first Christmas when the Son of God was born as a human being to be our Savior.  Jesus comes to us today in His Word and Sacraments creating faith.  Jesus is coming again to Judge this sinful world.  Advent is the time that Christians are called to prepare themselves for the comings of our Lord.  The first Sunday of Advent, in liturgical churches which follow the assigned readings, always points to Jesus’ Second Coming.  So, last Sunday where I worshiped we read from, among other places in Scripture, Luke 21.  You might want to look at these verses and listen to Jesus.

 

The truth is, if a fisherman hopes or expects to catch a fish, they need to be ready for the fish to bite.  But, because there is usually time between one bite to the next, fisherman can be distracted.  Their minds can wander.  And when the fish bite, not being prepared, the fisherman can miss a nice fish and a good meal.

 

In last Sunday’s lesson Jesus warns the people of His time, and He warns us, not to be distracted.  Jesus teaches in Luke 21:34-36,   34 Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. 35 For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. 36 Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man." 

 

“Dissipation, drunkenness, the anxieties of life!”  You and I know that we can be distracted from God and His will.  The pleasures and temptations of this world can seem more desirable than the holy and healthy will of God.  The wisdom of this world can seem more wise than the wisdom of God.  The pain and loss of this world can cause worries and anxieties, and steal our hope.  We can be caught unprepared, not trusting in Jesus and not living in that faith.  Jesus says that, for those who are unprepared, “that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap.”  That is why in the season of Advent, the season when we remember Jesus’ coming, we are reminded to prepare.

 

But, Jesus also teaches good news.  He says that the troubles we face in this world are signs, signs that are meant to remind us that our Lord is coming, signs to remind us to prepare our hearts and lives.  In Matthew 24 we hear Jesus talking about political unrest, about natural disasters, and about persecution as signs of the end.  In Luke Jesus speaks of environmental distress, of family problems, and of persecution as signs of the end.  Today we often view political unrest, environmental problems, family issues, and opposition to our Christian faith in Jesus as trials that we wish were gone.  But, Jesus calls these trials signs, reminders!  They remind us that this world, corrupted by the sin around us and by our own sin, is damaged and will never be perfect.  These signs call us from temptation and distraction to hope and to faith in Jesus.  These trials of life are not only the result of sin in our world, but we can actually view our troubles as good news because they call us to faith and hope in Jesus.

 

I found one other surprise in last Sunday’s lesson.  (Isn’t it interesting that a Christian can read a Bible verse many times, and still find new treasures every time we read God’s Word?!)  Many call Jesus’ second coming “Judgment Day,” and with good reason.  He does come to judge.  But, in the Luke 21 verse it seems that Jesus may have a different name for His second coming, “Redemption Day.”  “When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."  (Luke 21:28)  Yes, our world is full of sin, of pain and suffering.  But, Jesus saved us when He came that first time and lived a sinless life for us, when He suffered and died to pay for our sin, when He rose to win eternal life for us.  In spite of our sin and the fact that we deserve judgment, by God’s grace, Jesus delivers us and redeems us from this life’s tribulations when we believe in Him as our Savior.  When we see Judgment Day instead as “Redemption Day,” we can joyfully “stand up and lift up our heads” because Jesus is bringing His eternal kingdom to those assaulted by the trials of this life.  I WANT to be ready for Redemption Day!!!

 

I enjoyed another fishing trip with my brother in law, Mark Reaves on the Suwannee River on Tuesday, November 30.  It was a beautiful fall day on the river with bright sun and just a little breeze.  We saw birds and gators and I had one bite.  I did not know when the bite would come, but somehow I was ready and actually hooked and caught a nice fat largemouth bass. 

 

We do not know when Jesus will come.  But, for those who believe in Jesus and who live in that faith, Jesus’ second coming is Redemption Day, even more than it is Judgment Day.  Will you be ready and believing?  I WANT to be ready for Redemption Day. 

 

A Child of God, Desiring to Be Ready When Jesus Comes Again on . . . Redemption Day!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Maintaining a home – UPDATE – As I mentioned last week, our place in Florida suffered roof damage and interior water damage, which we discovered in September.  Since being in Florida, I have spent much time trying to deal with these issues.  Finally on Monday, November 29 our roof was permanently repaired.  On Tuesday, November 30, the restoration efforts began to the interior water damage from the leak.  It may be finished in about a month, after we return to Alaska.

 

P.P.S.  Kathy and I gathered with many of the Florida Rockey family for Thanksgiving.  Here are a few pictures from our gathering. https://photos.app.goo.gl/5eHfZhyaEwCSLBuz9

 

P.P.P.S.  As mentioned above, I did go fishing a couple of times.

·       On Friday, November 26, my brother, Stephen, and I fished on the Withlacoochee River.  The water was high and fast for bass fishing, and I had problems with my trolling motor. While we had a number of bites, we floated by before any actually fish took the bait.  I have no pictures from that day.

 

·       On Tuesday, November 30, my brother in law, Mark, and I fished on the Suwannee River.  It was a beautiful fall day.  We did not get many bites.  We saw 4 gators, and caught one nice fat bass, which I returned to the river.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/1BF9aR6jMUbtF9xH7

 

P.P.P.P.S.  While Mark and I fished on November 30, Kathy and my sister, Martha, walked through Manatee Springs State Park.  They saw much wildlife, including manatees (of which they could not get a picture), birds, fish, and deer.  Here are Kathy’s pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/pbz4LDtBKJSdZZACA

 

 

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

cell phone - 907-841-4066

Home phone - 907-746-5131

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment