Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Surprised by the Mess of Our World - MORE Surprised God Came to Save Us!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

Are you surprised at the pain and suffering, the trials and tribulations that come along in life?  I know that I should not be surprised by life’s crises.  But, I do confess that the pain and suffering, the struggle and trials of life do still surprise me at times, especially when they occur in my life.

 

I believe that I have grown complacent as an American Christian.  I grew up as a child in a world in which the Christian Church was held in high esteem, and I came to expect that respect for the church.  I grew up in a world where people in our country shared similar values, often called the Judeo-Christian ethic.  In fact, even pop singers like Elvis and the Beach Boys sang songs that acknowledged the place of God and His values in our lives.  I grew up as a child in a world where we trusted our government and officials to be honest and work for the good of our country. 

 

But, you know as I do, that our world has changed.  God’s church does still in many cases seek to remain true to His Word, but the church is often criticized for holding to such truth.  In our culture today the main value seems to be personal choice, rather than allowing God to direct us in His love and wisdom on how to live.  Many people today demand instead the right to choose for themselves.  God and His values only matter to some people if they choose to acknowledge Him, and only in the areas where they choose to accept Him.  In addition, our government, instead of working together for the good of the nation as a whole, is seriously divided with sides seemingly working for their own values over the good of the country.  For someone like myself, who perhaps became complacent over my blessings, the changes are indeed a surprise, and a disappointment.  As a Christian I know I live in a sinful world, and I should not be surprised at the mess of our world.  But, as someone who grew up with the blessings of God and country, I confess I am somewhat surprised, and very disappointed.

 

Then, in addition each person has their own trials.  I confess I do personally face difficulties and disappointments.  Some of these I never expected to face.  In some of these disappointments and struggles I confess that I see sin and I see evil.  I should not be surprised at life’s trials, but I confess disappointment, and yes surprise.

 

So, if the world is that much a mess, why would a holy God even want to come and help?  If the world has so turned in sin against its Creator, and Ruler, and Lord, why would He trouble Himself with such a lost and evil world?

 

But, with all that reason to reject us, God nevertheless did come.  For people full of trouble, suffering, sin, and rebellion, who cannot save themselves, the angel tells us, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.  11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.”  Jesus, the Lord and Ruler of all, is the promised Savior for this lost, rebellious, evil, and sinful world.  The Lord of all was born humbly in a manger that first Christmas.  Jesus is just what this world needs.

 

And, God tells us why Jesus comes.  16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”  (John 3:16)  Jesus the Son of God came to this world and was born in the manger, because GOD LOVE US!  God tells us why Jesus comes.  4 But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, 5 to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. 6 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, ‘Abba, Father.’ 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.”  (Galatians 4:4-7)  Jesus came so that God can redeem His children!

 

Christmas is often portrayed in our culture as a warm and fuzzy occasion.  There are beautiful songs, and fanciful stories, and beautiful decorations, many of which ignore the reason that the Son of God came - to save sinners.  Many of our cultural Christmas observances also ignore that Jesus was not only born as God’s Son, and the Son of Mary, but also that He came to suffer torture and to die a bloody and painful death.  Jesus’ suffering and death is what the sin of this world required.  Jesus’ Christmas birth is a beautiful story of love, that also required the ultimate cost of His suffering and death.  That sacrifice of Jesus is a different kind of beauty than the songs, or the decorations, or the fanciful stories.

 

With our world in such a mess, so mixed up that the troubles and evil may surprise us, or at least surprises me, there is therefore a greater surprise.  I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.  11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.”  So in the midst of life’s disappointments and bad surprises, there is reason for joy.  Christ the Savior broke into our world of sin and pain and has been born to save us!  Praise the Lord!

 

A Child of God, Surprised at the Mess of Our World – MORE Surprised God Comes to Save Us!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  St. John has numerous opportunities to celebrate the Christmas gift of God’s Son, Jesus.

·       On Christmas Eve, Friday December 24, St. John offers 3 candlelight services, at 6, 8, and 10 p.m.

 

·       On Christmas Day, we celebrate the birth of Jesus at 11:00 a.m. on Christmas morning, with the Lord’s Supper.

 

·       On the Sunday after Christmas, there is only one service at 10:00 a.m.

 

·       Regular Wednesday Worship will be held on December 29 at 6:30 p.m., based on the readings celebration for Epiphany Sunday.

 

·       Regular Sunday worship at 8:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. resumes on Sunday, January 2, with the readings celebration for Epiphany Sunday.

 

COME AND RECEIVE THE ETERNAL GIFT OF GO’S LOVE IN JESUS.

 

P.P.S.  Here are some pictures of our Christmas decorations.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/cNAY5RLRZjhHjdHdA

 

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


No comments:

Post a Comment