Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Seeking NOT to Return Evil for Evil, BUT to Overcome Evil with Good!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

On April 1 and 2 I attended a church meeting in Portland, Oregon.  I flew back on Saturday afternoon and evening from Portland to Orlando.  My plane was scheduled to arrive at 11:59 p.m., after which I would drive 2 hours to our Florida home.  There were complications surrounding this flight.  However, we landed in Orlando early, at 11:36 p.m. But, for many of us on this flight, our luggage did not arrive with us.  I was third in line to make a claim.  The first lady was incensed.  She had an important business meeting the next day, and her materials were in her luggage.  She let the agent know what she thought of the airline, what she thought of him, and what she thought of the shoddy (she said) service.  The agent informed the woman that her luggage should arrive by 5:00 p.m. the next day. She then forcefully informed him that, whatever it took, he was to get her important materials there earlier.  As this woman stormed out of the baggage office, she left the agent with a blank look of shock on his face.

 

The next man in line shared that he had paid extra for priority luggage handling of his luggage.  (I’m not sure why he did this.)  This man also expected his luggage to be found.  The agent, who had not personally lost the luggage, shook his head, apologized, and informed the passenger who had paid extra that his luggage would hopefully arrive by 5:00 p.m. the next day.  This man also left the office sputtering angry words.

 

I was the next in line of about 20 more people.  I could tell that the luggage agent was shell shocked, and that he saw the long line of disappointed people awaiting him.  However, my situation was different from the other travelers.  I was returning to my FL home.  I wanted my luggage, but I didn’t need what was in my suitcase right away.  I gave the man my information and wished him a good night.  I told him that I could be patient.  I saw the relief in his eyes as he thanked me.

 

The other passengers had been hurt.  They needed the luggage they had brought to fulfill their plans for their trip, and now their belongings were missing, damaging their hopes and their plans.  Because these fellow passengers had been hurt, they wanted to return their pain.  So, they took out their anger and their frustrations on the agent at the luggage counter.  However, that is not how God calls His children to act.  In Romans 12 God inspired Paul to instruct the church, “17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay,’ says the Lord. 20 On the contrary: ‘If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.’  21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”  (Romans 12:17-21)  As Christians, we are not to seek revenge, nor to return evil for evil.  When we are hurt we are to “overcome evil with good.”  It is easy to read this verse, but it is very hard to do what it says.  I saw evidence of that difficulty on Saturday night – Sunday morning.

 

How can God expect us to act in a manner that is so contrary to our natural impulses?  Listen to what Peter wrote.  21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. 22 "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth."  23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. 25 For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.” (1 Peter 2:21-25)  Instead of retaliating against those who crucified Him, Jesus prayed for them.  (Luke 23:34) 1 Peter 2 teaches that Jesus trusted Himself to His Father, to our Heavenly Father.  And Jesus’ eternal Father raised Him up and seated Jesus at His right hand in heaven.  Jesus’ death paid for the sin of those murdering Him.  Our sin is part of the reason for Jesus’ death.  Jesus could have retaliated and punished us.  Instead, Jesus died for us.  Then, His rising from the dead offers eternal life to all, through faith in Him.

 

We are not Jesus.  Learning not to retaliate is a difficult lesson.  Jesus Christ, the promised Messiah, did not commit any sin.  But, we are not so perfect.  My wife will tell you that I can use help in this area at times.  Nevertheless, because Jesus loved us when it was our sins that helped put him on the cross, because He paid for our sin and rose to offer us eternal life, we can act differently.  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”  (Romans 12:21) 

 

My luggage did not make it to Orlando with me on Saturday night.  It did not arrive at my Florida home on Sunday, but I do have other clothes.  Neither did my bag arrive at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, as I was informed that it would.  But, around dark on Monday night, about 2 days later, a courier delivered my suitcase.  I thanked him.  “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”  (Romans 12:21) 

 

A Child of God, Seeking Not to Return Evil for Evil, but to Overcome Evil with Good!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Gators, gators, everywhere!

·       Because of traveling for 4 days, I did not fish very much.  But, I did play 9 rounds of golf in Portland with long-time friend, Pastor Ted Werfelmann, and I did golf with my brother, Pastor James Rockey, on Monday, April 4.  These gators were our companions on the golf course.  On the first hole, my ball landed near the biggest of the gators.  I played another ball.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/MkN9q1WMa72dZm1K8

 

·       Because I was out of town, I only went fishing once.  But, when I arrived to fish at the Suwannee River, it was high because of recent rains, and moving more quickly than normal.  In addition, the wind was blowing in the opposite direction as the flow of the river.  It was a tough day to fish.  I had one bite, and caught no fish, but did see more gators.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/vjDDkB4CrWyvC34y8

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1a)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment