Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Thankful that Jesus Even Calls Someone Who FUMBLES the Good News, Like Me!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

I recently wrote a Bible Study which examines the reactions of Jesus’ followers as they discovered that He had risen from the dead on Easter morning.  My writing is nothing special.  It lists the instances of Jesus’ appearance to His followers and considers their response.  You would think that Jesus’ friends and disciples would have leaped with joy at the good news that He had risen from the dead.  But, their initial reactions are fear, doubt, denial, and guilt.  Somehow, the fact that Jesus had risen seemed too good to be true!

 

I’ll give you a chance to study these reactions for yourself if you want.  Take out your Bible and look at the fear of the women when they found the empty tomb in Matthew 28:1-10, Mark 16:1-8, or Luke 24:1-11.  Consider Mary Magdalene’s despair in John 20:1-18, despair which caused her not even to recognize Jesus when He appeared to her.  Read and think about the spiritual blindness of the two disciples walking to Emmaus in Luke 24:13-34.  Meditate on the fact that, on Easter night, the 10 disciples were so afraid that they locked the doors (John 20:19-23), and that Thomas’ heart was so broken he held fast to his doubt and unbelief (John 20:24-30).  Do you recognize in yourself the guilt which Peter exhibits in John 21:1-18?  And, how could the disciples have been so dense that in Matthew 28:16, that they still doubted?  How in Acts 1:3-7, as Jesus prepares to ascend into heaven, could the disciples ask a question which seems to have totally missed the purpose of Jesus’ ministry?

 

There are various ways to respond to the disappointing reactions of Jesus’ disciples and friends to His resurrection.  We can react with disgust at their weakness.  Or . . .  we can be honest with ourselves about our own weakness and failure, our own doubt, our own fear and guilt.  Admitting our sin, we can find encouragement that we are not the only ones with feet of clay.  We also often fail to follow Jesus with faith, with love. and with wisdom.  But, even that first Easter, in the face of the greatest good news that our world has ever seen, almost without fail, the disciples missed Jesus’ victory! 

 

Perhaps a personal story can illustrate how God’s people can fumble the good news.  In 1976 I was a first-year seminary student who was taking a class in Evangelism, and was participating in a teaching retreat on evangelism.  Students were trained, paired up, and sent to visit folks who had visited Epiphany Lutheran Church in St. Louis.  A key to this effort was actually a ‘trick’ question: “If you died tonight are you sure you would go to heaven?” I’ve now learned I don’t like trick questions.  But, as a seminary student I knew what Scripture teaches that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.”  (Romans 3:28)  Yet, as I examined my own heart, even though I knew that Bible verse and Scriptural truth, I could not say that I was SURE I would be in heaven.  I had doubts.  I personally learned that, even in the face of God’s grace in Jesus, I trusted my sin more than I trusted Jesus’ dying and rising for me.  Considering our own failures, maybe we shouldn’t be surprised at the reaction of Jesus’ disciples and friends!

 

However, the even better news is that Jesus knew His followers’ weaknesses and He still continued to love them and to care for them, to forgive and to encourage His wavering followers. In spite of their failure of faith, Jesus spoke personally to Mary’s despair, to Thomas’ doubt, and to Peter’s guilt.  In addition, Jesus still had important kingdom work for these weak human beings.  He sends the women to inform the apostles of His resurrection.  Jesus tells Peter to take care of His sheep and lambs.  Jesus still calls Peter to follow Him.  And, in all four Gospels and the book of Acts, Jesus sends these men and women to bring this good news into the whole world.  Jesus gives the most important task this world ever received to weak and sinful humans.

 

Time and again as pastor, when I have asked church members to do work of service and faith for our Lord and His church, I have often received the reply from the person I am asking that they are not strong enough, they are not smart enough, not holy enough to do the job.  The truth is we all fall short.  But, the Lord who sent His disciples and went with them into the whole world is with us.  Remember, after His resurrection Jesus told them, 18. . . "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."  (Matthew 28:18-20)  Because Jesus has risen He has authority over ALL things.  In that authority Jesus calls and sends his followers.  As we go teaching and baptizing and making disciples, Jesus is with us at ALL times.  We weak sinners can face all the challenges of faith God gives us.  The words of our victorious, risen Savior to His disciples are also true for us.  I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

 

Where do you feel inadequate or too sinful to answer the call of Jesus?  Remember, the disciples stumbled, even on that first glorious Easter.  The victory belongs to Jesus.  He is with us and He gives strength, grace and truth.

 

A Child of God, Thankful That Jesus Still Loves and Calls Weak and Sinful People, Like Me!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  The Florida Rockeys gathered for Easter, though my brother, David, was sick, and my brother James, and his wife, Martha, tested positive on Thursday for COVID-19.  Here are some Florida Rockey Easter 2022 pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/94SBuonaMsfHhRbT6

 

P.P.S.  I did fish twice.

·       On Saturday, April 16, I went fishing by myself at the Rodman Reservoir.  However, when I arrived at 6:45 a.m., there were many lights.  I discovered a “Save the Rodman Fishing Tournament!”  I’m told 110 boats participated.  I moved to a lesser boat ramp, but there were still LOTS of boats and competition.  No fish, but I missed one BIG bite.  Here are a couple of pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/JphEYbpczzSabYrj7

 

·       On Monday, April 19, I went fishing at Rodman Reservoir, without the tournament.  I caught 3 small bass, which Kathy and I ate for supper.  In addition, I saw much wildlife.  Here are a few pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/WpRyivNFr4ZBAwHfA

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1a)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment