Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Least of These

Dear Fellow Children of God,

I’m sure you have seen the pictures from the Earthquake in Japan, and continue to read or hear the stories of the efforts to help the victims, the efforts to clean up the destruction, and the on-going efforts to deal with the damage to the nuclear power plants.  So, last Wednesday we started a special offering at St. John for the victims of the Japanese earthquake.  For 3 Wednesdays and 2 Sundays those attending worship at St. John can give special offerings to help our church body reach out in love to people in need through Lutheran World Relief.  In many ways this is a response to the words of our Lord Jesus we will read in worship this coming Sunday.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' . . . 40 . . . 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'  (Matthew 25:31-46)

But, have you ever noticed it can seem easier to help people who are far away?  Sometimes it can seem easier to help people overseas in need, than to help the homeless in Anchorage, or the hungry person at the grocery store.  Sometimes the closer the need is, the more difficult it is to help.  Maybe that is because we can help the person overseas and feel like we are done.  But, when we help the person close by perhaps we know that this help may be an on-going effort.  And, what happens if the person in need is someone in our family?  Loving others and helping others seems like it should be easy.  But loving always takes giving, and giving can be difficult.

When we look at our resources we can be overwhelmed when it comes to helping others whose needs seem to have no end.  But, think of what happens when we look at Jesus’ love for us.  Jesus may have left heaven to be our Savior, but remember how near He is.  “I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20)  Even though helping us cost Jesus His life, He did so willingly.  (John 10:17-18)  And, Jesus is always there to love and help, no matter what the problem.  (Romans 8:38-39)  God’s love and help for us has no bounds.  When we remember how Jesus has helped us, beyond reason, it can move us to want to help others, even when that love and help is difficult and our efforts are imperfect.  A Christian is not just someone who believes God loves them.  A Christian is also a person whose life is changed by the love of Jesus. 

How are you helping ‘the least of these?’  Who do you know that needs the bottomless love God gives us in Jesus?  Are you looking to your limited resources to help, or are you remembering the limitless love and power and help which God gives us in Jesus?

A Child of God, loved beyond reason by my Lord,
Pastor Jonathan

**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.


**********

No comments:

Post a Comment