Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sharing What's Really Important

Dear Fellow Children of God,

On Tuesday, I spent the afternoon at home, hoping to get some writing and relaxing done after a few very busy days.  However, it turned out that home wasn’t a place for rest and work.  Three grand children were running around the house,
·         Playing and Eating,
·         Chasing the dog,
·         Jumping on the bed,
·         Playing baseball in the living room (with Mimi and Poppy’s encouragement), and
·         Playing with their grand mothers’ breakables. 
·         (That was in addition to two episodes of emptying much of a 25 lb. bag of flour on the floor of the pantry!!!)

As I watched my 3 grandchildren I could not help but be overwhelmed with love for my children’s children, and overwhelmed with thanks for God’s goodness. 

I also experienced another desire.  I want my grandchildren to have the “one thing necessary.”  (Luke 10:42)  I want them to know the eternal love of their Heavenly Father in Jesus which will see them through the trials they will experience in this life, and which will bring them to the eternal home for God’s children (and grandchildren) in heaven.  So, I tried reading to my 3 year old grandson, Jacob, my 2 year old grandson, Jackson, and my 1 and ½ year old granddaughter, Emmalee.  Hmmm.  I sat to read once during the play time, and twice during supper.  Somehow, I did not get their attention.  But, I will keep trying, it is important to share the greatest love in the universe with my loved ones.

This Sunday is “Friendship Sunday” at St. John.  If you have friends and loved ones who don’t know Jesus, or don’t know the joy of fellowship with God’s people, it is important to share this “one thing necessary.”  One way to share Jesus is to bring your family and friends to worship.  This Sunday is a good time to do so.  However, as with my grandchildren, you may not be listened to the first or second time you share.  And, while this Sunday is a good opportunity for such sharing, any time is a good time to share God’s love in Jesus with others.  I am convinced there is no better way to care for someone else than to share Jesus’ love with them.

A Child of God, sharing God’s love with loved ones
Pastor Jonathan

P.S.  The grand children were not only at our home because we love them, but also because God blessed our family with a new grand baby Monday night, and people are going to the hospital in shifts to visit the new Rockey.       https://picasaweb.google.com/jonrock53/KendallJeanRockey3282011?feat=directlink

P.P.S.  Here is a moment of  “somewhat calm” on the ‘jumping bed’ with the baseball bat!!!!  https://picasaweb.google.com/jonrock53/MimiAndPoppySGrandKidCrazyNess3292011?feat=directlink

**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.


**********

No comments:

Post a Comment