Friday, May 20, 2011

We Once Were Lost, But Now Are Found

Dear Fellow Children of God,

Sunday I lost my cell phone.  I remember (I think) putting my phone in my suit pocket before I left for church on Sunday morning.  When I returned home Sunday afternoon and reached to put the phone away, it was not in my pocket.  I called the phone hoping to hear the ring, but no luck.  I looked at home and at church, more than once.  My family looked for the phone.  The staff looked for my phone.  I called AT&T multiple times.  After a couple of days I gave up.  So, I bought a new phone on Tuesday and put “find my phone” on the phone as an “app”lication. 

I tell you that story because I want you to think about the parables Jesus told in Luke 15.  In verses 4-7 a Shepherd loses a lamb, and so he goes searching for the lamb until he finds it.  In verses 8-10 a woman loses a coin so she turns her house upside down looking for the coin until she finds it.  Jesus point is that the fervor shown in looking for the lamb and the coin shows how much effort God puts into looking for his children who have strayed.  God went so far as to send His Son!  His Son loves us so much He gave His life!  I was totally focused on looking for my lost phone.  God in heaven has put more effort into finding sinners, into finding us.  WHAT LOVE!

I read those stories to someone in jail last week.  It is not uncommon for people in jail to think their sins are so bad that God has given up on them.  The truth is that God cares so much that He spares no effort in looking for those who have run from him.  He did not even spare His own Son!

I pray that great love  which causes God to search for you causes you to find joy in staying home with Him.


A Child of God, Found by God’s own Son,
Pastor Jonathan

P.S.    When I returned home after purchasing the new phone on Tuesday, I put the new phone on the cedar chest in my office where I keep my keys and wallet and charge my phone.  THERE WAS MY OLD PHONE ON THE CEDAR CHEST!  Kathy said, “But I looked there, more than once!”  I did too. 
Judy told me at the office today, “If you want to find your old phone, go buy a new one!”  I guess she was right!

**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

**********

ST. JOHN NEWS

SPECIAL OFFERING – ST. JOHN AMC VBS – A group of 7 St. John members are traveling to Northway, AK, to present VBS to the community June 6-10.  They have asked for our prayers.  In addition, we will have an opportunity after worship on May 22 to help defray the costs of travel and materials for this group which is sharing the Gospel of Jesus on behalf of St. John.

WEDNESDAY WORSHIPWednesday worship continues this week at 6:30 p.m.  The goal for Wednesday worship is to provide an alternate opportunity for those who can’t make Sunday worship, and to provide extra opportunities for time with the Lord and His people for people who nevertheless can attend on Sundays. 
            Wednesday worship is focusing on the readings for the coming Sunday, but the theme and sermon are different from Sunday.  Come and join us for “An Evening with the Lord and His People.”

SPECIAL MISSION PRESENTATION – On June 5, Rev. Dr. Jensen Seyenkulo will preach and tell us about mission work among the Kuwaa people of Western Africa.  A special offering will be received.

THE COMMUNITY PICNIC will be held at St. John on Saturday, June 11.  We will host a picnic after the Colony days parade and use this opportunity to invite the community to St. John and to this year’s VBS.
            We need help and sign up sheets are on the counter in the narthex.  We could use help in the following areas.
·         Set up
·         Cooking
·         Clean up
·         Donation of salad, side dishes, and desserts.
Please sign up where you can help.

VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL volunteers needed.  VBS will be held at St. John June 20-24.  Please sign up in the narthex to help share the Gospel with the children of St. John and our community.

CAR USE REQUESTED FOR VISITING PASTOR  Pastor Denny Neels and his wife Sue are visiting Alaska again June 17-27.  He thought he had the use of a vehicle arranged, but that situation changed.  Pastor Neels was Pastor in Homer for 16 years.  If you can help please call me on my cell phone and let me know.

**********

DID YOU KNOW THAT MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT ST. JOHN is available on our church website?  On our web page you can find sermons, newsletters, and these weekly devotions.  The link is:  http://www.st-john-lutheran.org/ 
In fact, IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE YOUR MONTHLY CHURCH NEWSLETTER BY E-MAIL please e-mail Judy Stahancyk and let her know.  If you receive the newsletter by e-mail it saves printing, postage, and time compiling the newsletter.  Also, you receive the monthly newsletter more quickly!!


No comments:

Post a Comment