Monday, August 29, 2011

Tears of Joy?

Dear Fellow Children of God,

When was the last time you saw or experienced tears?  I know a tear or two was shed at St. John on August 14 when my grand-daughter, Kendall, was baptized.  In the last week or so I’ve also seen tears as our son, Timothy, leaves home for school at the University of Montana.  Tears don’t always mean pain or sorrow, though they can.  Sometimes tears can reveal nervousness.  Sometimes tears show joy.  But tears almost always mean that someone cares, usually cares about someone else.  You might say that tears are ‘love spilling over.’

·         Paul talks about the tears of his Timothy as Paul left him for work elsewhere.  But, these tears pointed to future joy  Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. (2 Timothy 1:4)   Can you hear Paul’s love?

·          The Psalmist reminds us that tears often point to future joy.  Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.  (Psalm 126: 5)  Have you shed a tear in a time of joy?

I was blessed by a great devotion this week.  The pastor asked, “How much do you love your family, your children?  How much greater is God’s love than yours?  Now consider how much God loves you.”  When God’s love spilled over He did more than shed a tear or two.  He sent His beloved only Son, Jesus.   Jesus love spilled over when he went willingly to the cross and rose from the dead for us. 

Love cannot help but show itself, in tears, or words, or actions.  So, when you know God’s love for you, and when His love spills over in your life, what does God’s love look like as it flows from you?

A Child of God, Thankful that God’s love has spilled over on me,
Pastor Jonathan

P.S.  Here is a picture from this morning.  This was Tim’s first day of school.  However, there is a river that runs through Missoula and beside the campus.  I made sure he has plenty of fishing equipment.  His first class started at 9:10 a.m., but we left to go fishing at 6:30 a.m.  https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/TimGoesToCollege#5646426525493500530

P.S. Please note the announcement below about the “Tracking the Spirit” presentation that will give us an opportunity to consider living in God’s love and sharing God’s love.

**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

**********

No comments:

Post a Comment