Sunday, August 7, 2011

Jesus' Help in Times of Trial

Dear Fellow Children of God,

I was saddened this week to read the newsletter of Trinity Lutheran Church, the church in which I was baptized and my faith was nurtured as a young child.  I am part of the 5th generation in my family to live in Easthampton, MA, and worship at Trinity Lutheran Church.  My great grandparents were charter members of the congregation over 100 years ago and as I young child I watched my large family attend and serve in the congregation.  However, today Trinity Lutheran is going through difficult times as traditional churches are declining in New England.  The people of Trinity are trying to decide if they can even afford a full time Pastor.  Being a Christian congregation has never been easy.  And, there are ways in which living the Christian faith is even more difficult in today’s western culture than in past times.

But, there are other ways in which being a Christian can be difficult.  This Sunday evening Darcie Gill of “Voice of the Martyrs” will speak at St. John at 7:00 p.m. about the persecuted church.  It is not just in the Bible that children of God were persecuted or even lost their lives as they followed our Lord, Jesus.  Today, perhaps more than ever, there are places in the world where people are living in danger for simply believing in our Lord and seeking to live for Him.

We should not be surprised when we face difficulties as God’s children.  In fact, we should expect it.  In many places during His ministry Jesus tells us, “If they hated you they will hate me..” (E.g. John 15:18-20)  However, knowing that this trouble comes, Jesus gives us encouragement.  In Matthew 16 Jesus assures His disciples after Peter confessed that Jesus is “the Christ, the Son of the Living God,”  “ . . . you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.  (Matthew 16:18)  Jesus says the church will not be overcome by Satan and his efforts.

Yes, the church will face trouble.  But Jesus is ultimately victorious over Satan and His efforts through His dying on the cross to pay for sin and His rising from the dead in victory over sin and His enemies in this World.  And, the church shares in Jesus’ victory.  As children of God as we continue in faith we have God’s promise of eternal life in heaven no matter what kind of trouble or evil assaults us.

Nevertheless, Jesus still reminds us of coming struggles.  He not only predicts His own suffering, but He calls us to the cost of discipleship.  "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.”  (Matthew 16:24)

I am saddened at the struggle of the congregation that helped give birth to my relationship with my Lord.  But, I know that we are ultimately victorious, so we continue to serve, even as it means picking up our own cross in order to follow Jesus.

A Child of God, Encouraged in Life’s Troubles by Jesus Eternal Victory,
Pastor Jonathan

P.S.  Here are fishing pictures from last week’s trip with family on the Kenai at the cabin of friend, Pastor George Rakos.  https://picasaweb.google.com/jonrock53/RedFishingKenaiJuly1821?authuser=0&feat=directlink

**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

**********

No comments:

Post a Comment