Monday, July 18, 2011

Encouraging One Another, July 14, 2011

Dear Fellow Children of God,

I really enjoyed my day today.  I had the joy of doing something I cherish.  I made visits.  I actually probably visited between 30-40 people.  In a way those are not totally accurate numbers.  I visited 3 new St. John attendees today in their homes, AND, I am volunteer chaplain at the hospital this week.  So I visited 30 or more people there in their hospital rooms today, including one of our own St. John members.

The joy I am sharing is that I simply enjoy visiting with people, especially where there is an opportunity to talk about God’s love in Jesus and our faith in that love.  Yes, I also enjoy preaching and teaching.  To a certain extent there is even joy in attending meetings and planning God’s work here at St. John.  But, there is a special joy in spending time with someone, visiting about life, and being able to also discuss God’s part in our lives.

Hebrews 10:25 says, Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-- and all the more as you see the Day approaching.  The Church is not our idea, it is God’s plan for how we encourage one another.  Life is tough.  But when we know the love of God and the support of His people even the trials of life have their joy.  That’s the way family is supposed to work, we support one another.  Even though it is not always like that, that is also the way God’s Church is supposed to work.

Who do you know anyone who could use a hug, or an encouraging word?  Why not give them a call, or take them out for a cup of coffee.  Children of God are called to encourage one another.  After all, we have God’s love in Jesus to share!

A Child of God, Encouraged by the faith of other Christians,
Pastor Jonathan

P.S.  Here are some pictures of my garden this year.  I think we are being overrun by spinach!  https://picasaweb.google.com/jonrock53/Garden20117112011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKOe5ZHz_4LLyQE&feat=directlink

**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

**********


No comments:

Post a Comment