Saturday, July 9, 2011

"My Daughter"

Dear Fellow Children of God,

Have you ever thought about the words of God the Father at the baptism of Jesus?  As Jesus came out of the water the Father said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."  Yes, Jesus, God’s Son, was beginning His sacrificial life work of saving the world.  But, it was the Father encouraging Him with words of love. 

Last week our daughter, Mary, began a college class and everyone in the class was required to write a poem ‘using a repetitive phrase’ (‘I am from”)  to help other class members learn to know them.  Below is Mary’s poem.

I Am From…
Mary Rockey  6/29/11

   I am from Alaska, mountains, fishing, and midnight sun
   From mosquito bites, bug “dope”, and bare feet

   I am from the brown house with the rickety tree fort in the back yard
   From playing outside and getting dirty without worrying about germs

   I am from tea parties with Nana’s dishes at the dining room table
   From toys that have no buttons, gadgets or noise, and backyard baseball with the trees as the bases

   I am from church and Sunday school on Sunday mornings
   From dressing in your Sunday best and sitting still through service

   I am from showing respect to adults and treating others the way you want to be treated
   From Mr. and Mrs. rather than a first name basis

   I am from the white blanky with the soft satin that I held when I sucked my thumb
   From bedtime prayers and getting tucked in

   I am from a pastor father and a nurse mother
   From a family with three brothers, always trying to act like “one of the boys”

   I am from baking in the kitchen with my mom right beside me
   Where it’s okay to make a mess and mistakes are how we learn

   I am from fishing and sometimes catching in the rain with my dad
   From the white truck that fit everyone when we went on trips together

   I am from, “Do what you’re told when you’re told” and “Don’t just say sorry, be sorry”
   From “Sit on your hands and bite your lips” because “He poked me!”

   I am from weekly chores, cleaning the kitchen, packing my own lunch, and doing my own laundry
   Because hard work and responsibility are important, and you have to earn things

   I am from family dinners around the table without any distractions
   From spending time together because family matters

   I am from these fond memories that have shaped who I am
   When my parents said, “It’s for your own good” it turns out they were right

Parents pray for their children.  Kathy and I have prayed for all our children.  It is a blessing to see God working in the life of one of your children.  I am glad to be able to say about Mary, "This is my daughter, whom I love; with her I am well pleased."

Pastor Jonathan
A Child of God, Father of another child of God,

P.S.  The Father’s words at Jesus’ baptism are also His words to us.  "This is my child, whom I love; with whom I am well pleased."Doesn’t the love of God encourage you?


**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

**********

ST. JOHN NEWS

No comments:

Post a Comment