Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Learning from Family - Christ our Passover Lamb"

Dear Fellow Children of God,



In January I traveled to the places where I was raised.  I was in Massachusetts for important events in the life of my dad’s only brother.  I was born and lived in western Massachusetts the first 12 years of my life, My wife and I then went to Florida, since we were already outside, and spent time with the rest of my family.  When I was 12 my dad’s job with General Electric took our family to Gainesville, FL.  My dad and my siblings still live in the area. 



There is one thing about these trips home.  I not only get to visit relatives and friends, but I often learn something about myself.  One dramatic example happened on a visit to Massachusetts with my wife and children a number of years ago.  I was asking about my grandfather, my dad’s dad, who had a great impact on my life.  My uncle replied, “Joni (pronounced Johnny – that’s what I was called as a child), your grandfather was the noisiest person I know, and you are noisier than he was.  Hmmm.  Maybe that explains a few things.  My wife has not forgotten that comment either, and from time to time she still reminds me what my uncle said.



This Sunday we have a special presentation at St. John from David Garrett of Jews for Jesus in both our 8:15 and 11:00 a.m. worship services.  Some might ask, “Why would we want to hear from Jews for Jesus.”  We may forget that people of the Jewish faith are our spiritual ancestors.  Every time we go home (to the Old Testament) we not only get to visit friends and relatives, we learn some things about ourselves.  The people of Israel are not only the people of God privileged to be those through whom God’s promises were given to the whole world.  The Jews themselves needed the promised Savior.  The people of Israel were constantly turning away from God in sinful, rebellious behavior.  Whether in the wilderness, or during the time of the Judges, or during the time of the prophets, time and time again the Israelite people wandered from serving God, and the only way back to a healthy relationship with their heavenly Father was the forgiveness that God gives, ultimately through Jesus, the Messiah or the Christ.



David Garrett’s presentation to us at St. John is called, “Christ in the Passover.”  Christians don’t practice circumcision and the sacrifice found in the Passover.  Instead, through Jesus, Christians have baptism and the Lord’s Supper.  But Paul still reminds the Christians in Corinth,  For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.” (1 Corinthians 5:7 )  Paul wrote this in a section of Scripture where the people Christians of Corinth were being confronted with horribly sinful behavior when they needed to turn from sin to righteousness.  God is telling the Corinthians through Paul, “Look at the extent to which God went to love and redeem you.  Repent of your sin and turn to God’s love and forgiveness in Jesus, who sacrificed Himself for your sin.”  Hmmmm.  Do those words sound appropriate for your life?  They do to mine.  Thank God for His love in Jesus.  Thank God for our Passover Lamb, Jesus Christ.



Last night (Friday night) I attended an event hosted by the Alaska Correctional Ministries.  Over 30 former convicts who had come to faith in Jesus while previously in prison were present to help show the fruits of this ministry.  Chaplain Mike Ensch had a special name for these folks.  My wife posted that name on Facebook in the middle of the presentation.  He called them, “Redeemed Citizens.”  In many ways these are our brothers and sisters in the faith.  When we learn about family we learn about ourselves.  How appropriate a title for God’s people, people who have been saved from sinful wandering by the love and sacrifice of God, Jesus our Passover Lamb.



Maybe, like me, when you visit family you learn about yourself.  Over the years I’ve learned that without the love of my heavenly Father, I would be lost.  I thank God for His forgiving and redeeming love given to me through faith in Jesus Christ.  I need it.



A Child of God, Redeemed by the Sacrifice of Jesus,

Pastor Jonathan



****



ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.



****

No comments:

Post a Comment