Saturday, March 17, 2012

The GIFT of Sacrificial Love

Dear Fellow Children of God,



This Sunday our church had scheduled our 4th annual Shane Woods Ice-fishing Outing.  One reason we hold this church event goes back to January 2006.  Early that year the men in our congregation took the children of our church fishing on Finger Lake.  One of  those who went with us was Shane Woods, who was home on leave from active duty in the Army.  I remember watching Shane down on his knees on the ice holding the lines of the children until he hooked a fish.  He then told the children to reel in their fish.  There were many delighted children.  Shane touched many lives that day.



A couple of days after this event Shane left to serve in Iraq.  In August of that year he was killed while serving our country, his country.  Before he lost his life Shane’s dad told me that Shane was in a tough area in Iraq, and he knew it.  His grandmother told me that Shane had said he was glad to be in Iraq fighting, because he believed that if he wasn’t fighting over there, he would have to be fighting here.  Shane knew the risks of serving but was willing to put his life on the line for what he believed was the good of his country.  Shane’s patriotism and love for America is not something he developed in a vacuum.  Shane’s parents and grandparents love our country and have worked hard serving their country.  Shane came by his sacrificial attitude naturally.



This coming Sunday our assigned Gospel Reading in worship is from John 3.  "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”  Perhaps surprisingly, it was Jesus who spoke these words.  Our entry into heaven is not only a gift of our Heavenly Father who sent His Son.  In speaking these words Jesus shows that He knew his own sacrificial death was coming.  He willingly came to this world to save you and to save me as we believe in Jesus as our Savior.



Having known Shane, having cared about Shane, having respected Shane, his death continues to be a great loss.  I miss his humble attitude, his strong faith, and his easy smile.  It helps to know that Shane knew that serving his country put his life in danger and that he served anyway.  Even though knowing this helps, I still miss Shane.



Sometimes it seems we hear so often that Jesus loved us so that He died for us that the words can lose their impact.  But, Shane’s sacrifice helps me under understand Jesus’ sacrifice.  Knowing Shane’s willing service in the face of danger, and knowing the ache of losing him, helps me understand not only Jesus’ sacrifice, but His love for us.  Knowing Jesus’ willing sacrifice for me and the whole world, helps me to love my Savior.



As we approached another annual Shane Woods Ice Fishing Outing, I wanted our congregation and our community to know the man after whom we have named this event.  He continues to be missed.  And, I pray you never grow numb to the even greater sacrificial love that Jesus has for us.  It not only provides the gift heaven in the future, but also provides us with love for Jesus in this life.



A Child of God, overwhelmed by Jesus’ sacrifice for me.

Pastor Jonathan





P.S.  That same Christmas break we had two young soldiers worshipping with us in uniform, Shane Woods and Justine Gallegos, the son in law of Diana Christensen and husband of Diana’s daughter Amanda.  Justin lost his life in Afghanistan in October 2009.





P.P.S.  Our Shane Woods Ice Fishing outing this year has been postponed till next year.  Details are listed below.



****



ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.



****


No comments:

Post a Comment