Thursday, May 17, 2012

God Listens and Answers


Dear Fellow Children of God,



On Friday, May 11, I was sitting in the entrance of the Palmer Carrs-Safeway grocery store selling tickets for the Palmer Kiwanis Club of which I am a member. This activity raises money for our club so we can help youth in the community.  But sitting in the entrance to a busy store for two hours provides a unique opportunity.  Not only did I get to talk that day to many people I know and some I don’t know.  This time also provided an opportunity for some ‘people watching.’



While talking with one person that Friday, I noticed another couple walking toward the front door of the store further across the entrance.  As they walked past me the man’s phone rang.  He took out his phone, looked at the number and then showed the number to his wife as the phone kept ringing.  They looked at each other and put the phone away without answering it.



I am learning new rules in regard to phone etiquette.  When I grew up we always answered the phone when it rang.  In fact, my brothers and sister and I often ran to the phone to be the first to answer.  Of course that was in the days of rotary dial phones and before solicitation calls.  Perhaps I am dating myself.



I am now beginning to understand there are new rules of phone etiquette.  But, I confess that these new rules still surprise me.  I have learned that today, with caller ID and so many phone solicitations, people choose not to answer every call.  I even confess that I have done the same at times.  When the car repair shop called me recently and I was in the middle of an important meeting I let the phone ring and called back later.



What a blessing to know there is someone who always listens when we call.  Children of God have found strength and comfort throughout the ages knowing that our Lord loves us and listens to us.  King David, speaking by the Spirit, says in Psalm 17:6, wrote, “I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer.”  And the Apostle John writes in his first letter.  13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.”  (1 John 5:13-14)  In other words, when we go to God He listens.  God hears and He answers.



I am not saying that God always answers every prayer the way we desire.  Consider Jesus’ prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane.  The Father did not “take the cup of suffering” from Jesus.  Consider Paul’s prayer about the thorn in his flesh in 2 Corinthians 12.  God did not take the thorn away.  But, scripture says and, I believe, that God answers prayer according to His wisdom and love with our eternal welfare in mind. 



God’s wisdom is beyond my understanding.  I don’t always understand His answer to my prayers.  But, just think, there is someone who does not put us on hold when we call.  There is someone who does not refuse to answer.  There is someone who always has time to listen.  And that someone is the Creator and Lord of the Universe!  When our world can make us feel unwanted and unimportant because someone doesn’t want to listen, what a message of love to know that, “if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.



A Fellow Child of God, thankful that God chooses to listen,

Pastor Jonathan





****



ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.


No comments:

Post a Comment