Friday, January 11, 2013

Facing the Unknown Future in the Loving Hands of God


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Tonight, January 11, the Valley Performing Arts Play, “Sense and Sensibility” begins, and with the beginning of this play also continues my part in a new adventure.  Already I have been surprised by responsibilities I did not know would come my way by agreeing to be in the play.  I knew there would be memorization and practice, but did not realize how much there would be.  I knew there would be costumes, but did not know it would include dyed hair, a powdered wig, and my own makeup bag.  I knew I’d meet new people, but did not know how much I would enjoy working with people I did not previously know.  I knew I would learn from the experience, but I’ve already learned much more than I expected.  In other words, when a person takes on a new task or a responsibility we really don’t know all that the future holds.

 

This week at St. John many face a similar adventure.  In worship on Sunday we will commission or re-commission between 80 and 90 people who have agreed to serve as congregational officers or board members.  We don’t know the adventures, the challenges, the heartaches and the joys the future holds when we start something new.  But these folks are agreeing to face the unknown challenges of the coming year to help St. John serve our Lord, Jesus.

 

In Life-light Bible Class last Wednesday we were studying Ecclesiastes 8.  Part of the lesson that day included discussion about verse 16 and 17, 16 When I applied my mind to know wisdom and to observe man's labor on earth-- his eyes not seeing sleep day or night-- 17 then I saw all that God has done. No one can comprehend what goes on under the sun. Despite all his efforts to search it out, man cannot discover its meaning. Even if a wise man claims he knows, he cannot really comprehend it. 

 

Life is full of surprises.  We don’t know what the future holds, and often we are left speechless as we think of what life brings and left with the question “Why?”

 

Since we don’t know the future, should we stay away from any commitments that might lead us into unknown territory?  I know people who feel that way about marriage.  But, if I had said no to the new opportunity of this play I would not have learned many new things, I would not have struggled with new responsibilities, and I would not have enjoyed some of these new experiences I am enjoying.  When faced with taking on responsibilities to serve the Lord and His Church, many fear the unknown.  Some simply say “No!” when asked to serve.  But, they also miss out on seeing God work through them in His Church.

 

A favorite pithy saying I learned a long time ago is, “We don’t know what the future holds.  But, we know Who holds the future!”  Or, as Jesus says in John 10, the Good Shepherd chapter, 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.”  Following Jesus is an adventure into unknown territory.  But as people follow Jesus into all of life’s trials, adventures, challenges, and joys our Lord is holding His beloved sheep in His hands.  “We don’t know what the future holds.  But, we know Who holds the future!” 

 

THANK YOU to all who have taken on the challenge of facing the unknown future to take on challenges and opportunities to serve the Lord and do His work.  I am sure you will experience things you never expected.  Please know that in these experiences God has you in His hand, eternally.

 

A Child of God, Facing Life with Jesus by my Side,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here is a picture from dress rehearsal on Wednesday night before the play begins, Friday, January 11.  https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/January112013?authuser=0&feat=directlink

 

 

****

 

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

No comments:

Post a Comment