Friday, April 5, 2013

Jesus - God's Answer to Life's Questions


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Do you understand how computers work?  Unfortunately on March 20, during the busy Easter season, I spilled tomato juice on my laptop while writing a sermon.  I had to buy a new computer and have since been using this new laptop with a new set of operating programs.  Some know this new operating program as Windows 8.

 

As I began using this new computer I sent out an e-mail message to those who serve as Lay Ministers at St. John, asking for some help with Easter services.  Then I started getting replies to my e-mail message.  I heard from pastors in California, Anchorage, and Florida, surprised that they were considered Lay Ministers at St. John in Palmer, AK (which of course they weren’t).  The message went to my sister-in-law in FL, and Kathy’s cousin in Washington.  Kathy’s cousin indicated, while he’d like to help, he might have trouble getting to Alaska from Idaho by Easter. 

 

I was embarrassed.  I went to the original e-mail message and the addresses listed on the message were the correct addresses for our St. John Lay Ministers.  So, how did these other people receive my message?  Do you understand computers?  Are they a mystery to you too?

 

I know some men in Jesus’ time whose heads and hearts were full of questions.  These questions wouldn’t have been about how computers work, but how God works.  The day Jesus rose from the dead two men left Jerusalem walking to the nearby small town of Emmaus.  According to Luke 24:13-35, these men knew Jesus had been crucified and died.  But they had heard from some women in their group that the women had seen Jesus alive.  The men were full of questions.  What was happening?   What was God thinking and doing?  Do you understand how God works?

 

When my computer acts up I go to my computer repairman.  Kevin is a talented person that has helped me time and again.  He helped put my old documents on my new computer.  But, even though he fixes computer problems for me, I still don’t always understand how computers work.

 

These men walking to Emmaus had Jesus join them in their walk.  He’s even better than my computer repairman (sorry Kevin).  We are told that Jesus explained the prophecies of the Old Testament about the Messiah to these men.  “27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.”  But, when they realized it was Jesus who was walking and talking to them, He left.  The men had a better understanding of Easter events, but they still had questions.  God had raised Jesus from the dead.  But what did this mean?

 

Do you ever wonder what God is doing?  What is the Lord doing in world events today?  What is God doing in His Church?  What is He doing in my life?  Life is full of questions for which we do not have answers.  I am comforted that when I don’t understand what is happening in the world around me and in my life, God does.  God is acting in Jesus to bring His love and salvation to the world, and to my life.  God has given us insight through the Scriptures, as Jesus did for these men on the way to Emmaus.  But, when life brings questions, God answers with Jesus.

 

A Child of God, Trusting God’s love in a life of Questions,

Pastor Jonathan

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.
 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment