Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Blessing of Human Kindness


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

I recently had an experience with a large business that was frustrating and maddening and left me shaking my head.  I had trouble with my cell phone and I experienced a run around I couldn’t believe.  I walked into the location where I had purchased my phone in December in order to deal with my problem.  After waiting about 40-45 minutes, I had someone help me, sort of.  The representative looked at my phone and told me I had not damaged it.  This person and their supervisor, however, then told me why they could not help me.  They also could not put my on the line to talk to someone else who could help me, unless I paid $20.00.  I had to go to Anchorage to deal with another business partner of theirs.

 

Being very busy in the coming week, I went to Anchorage that night, assured this would take care of my problem.  When I arrived at the Anchorage store the manager of that store told me why they could not help me.  Their rules required an appointment and I had just showed up, encouraged by the first company to do so.  I would have to return to Palmer and come back the next day.  When I said I was willing to stay late, the man looked at the phone and then told me, contrary to my first stop, that I had damaged the phone and there was nothing they could do.

 

However, this 3 ½ hour period of time was not the end.  I went home and, using my computer, communicated with someone with the first company who tried to help, but did very little.  Finally, the next day, with more information in hand, I returned to the first place of business, and, after 3 hours, had a new phone, and some help for the problem.  I believe that from when I left my home to when I returned, including time on the computer, I spent a minimum of 9 hours trying to be helped.  After this experience I was worn out, frustrated, and even a little angry.

 

I can tell you this story because I had the exact opposite experience with another business.  My boat needed some work for 3 small problems, so I went to where the boat was built.  The owner met with me personally for 2 hours.  We not only fixed those three items, but he found 2 other areas of need and took care of them.  We didn’t just talk the technical issues of the boat, but talked fishing, and life, and faith.  At the end of two hours of time, where more problems were fixed that I knew I had, the charge was minimal for the parts.  Actually, this experience refreshed me to return to the phone store and finish my business there.

 

The lesson I learned by experience is that it makes a difference how we are treated, and how we treat others.  A willingness to listen and some common kindness go a long way.  This is not just true in business, it is true in all relationships.  Sometimes all of us struggle with kindness.  But, God reminds us the real source of kindness.  Ephesians 4:32 says, 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.  In other words, God has been forgiving and kind and compassionate to us.  His kindness and compassion are the power and the example for our relationships with others.

 

Our relationship with Jesus, our Christian faith, is not just something to talk about inside a church building.  Because we are loved by God, we can put love and faith into practice throughout our community.  What a blessing it would be if we remembered God’s love and were always able to treat others in the same way.

 

A Child of God, Blessed by God’s Kindness and that of His people,

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment