Monday, September 16, 2013

The Blessing of Christian Friends


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

When you read this devotion I will have left for my annual moose hunting trip.  This is perhaps my favorite season of the year.  I love autumn in the Alaskan woods.  There are times that the yellow leaves on the birch trees seem to light up a dark evening.  You can smell the rotting leaves and the pungent cranberries.  The hills seem to be painted with the colors of gold and red.  The warm days and cool nights bring a pleasant contrast.  And the wildlife is active, preparing for the winter.  The bleating of the sandhill cranes and the trumpeting of the swans are shouting that winter is on the way.  The call of the raven seems to be telling every other animal what is happening in the woods.  And we see porcupine and lynx and even bear sign.  Usually I see many moose, mainly cows and calves, wandering about and eating.  That list doesn’t even describe the grouse, the hare, the owls, the squirrels, and the other wildlife with which God populates the forests.  No wonder so many Alaskans enjoy hunting.  It is not only an opportunity to fill the freezer, but it is an opportunity to enjoy the beauty of God’s creation.

 

With all that said, do you know what I enjoy most about my hunting trips?  I find real blessing in sitting around the fire and talking with fellow hunters.  We discuss our hunting experiences, and politics.  We discuss family and our faith. In fact, my experience in moose camp for 20 plus years has been that we enjoy a daily devotion which leads to more discussion.  When I return from hunting I often tell my wife that we solved all the problems of the world in camp this year, if only the rest of the world would listen to us.

 

God intends for men and women of faith to be a blessing to one another.  The Scriptures are full of references to friends.  Perhaps the verse that best describes to me what happens in moose camp comes from Proverbs 27:9. There we are told, “Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel.”  What a blessing to be able to talk earnestly, to talk honestly about topics that are important to our lives.  And when we realize while talking that we share a best friend, Jesus, our talk encourage us through the trials of life with the help that faith in God gives.  Around the campfire we can be talking about the present, but building for eternity, as we assure one another of God’s help and forgiveness and love.

 

Going into the wilderness to live in a tent may sound like roughing it to many.  But, when you mix the glory of God’s creation with the blessing of Christian friends, this becomes one of my favorite times of the year.

 

A Child of God, Thankful for time in God’s beautiful Creation with friends.

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  I leave today for 10 days of moose hunting.  This is my “Thoughts from the Pastor” devotion for the week of September 15-21.  After that, the next message you receive will be on September 27 or 28 after I have returned from hunting.

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

No comments:

Post a Comment