Saturday, November 16, 2013

Seeking to SHOW Thanks for the Lord's Many Blessings


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Last Spring I had a pleasant surprise.  My daughter, Mary, was teaching in Chevak and had the responsibility of leading the cultural exchange program for the students from the Chevak school.  I was pleased when she asked me, “Dad, will you take the group ice fishing?”  So, I got to lead the Chevak Middle School students and some students from Begich Middle School on a fishing trip to a local lake with my daughter along.  I believe there were 11 students who spent that crisp March day seeking to land a fish.  Some of the students actually caught fish, though not all of them.

 

Now, I expected that this outdoor winter fishing opportunity was not a new experience for these native Alaskan youth.  But Mary’s students, and the student from Begich, really seemed excited and to really seemed enjoy their time fishing.  They concentrated on the task at hand, and rejoiced with one another when the fish were caught.

 

My surprise occurred at the end of the day when one of the students came up to me and said, “Mr. Rockey, thank you for taking us fishing.”  I’m not sure why, but I didn’t expect these heart-felt words.  About two weeks later I also received a thank you card in the mail signed by all the students from Chevak.  Perhaps my daughter arranged the card.  But, the words from the mouth of that middle school boy came from his heart.

 

I have been focusing on thankfulness for the last few weeks, on making sure to have a grateful heart in response to the love of God.  In worship we have been listing blessings.  Personally, I have spent a little more time on my “Gratitude Journal” during my morning devotions.  But, it is one thing to have a grateful heart and it is another to show that thankfulness.

 

In the Psalms we are told, Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.” (Psalm 118:1)  Hopefully, we don’t just realize the undeserved, enduring  love of God who has given us life and saved us from our sin.  Hopefully, like the young man from Chevak, we also show heartfelt gratitude to God in our words and in our actions.

 

As I write this devotion I know that I often miss saying “thank you” to God and to His people.  There are so many blessings in our lives, in my life, that even if I say thank you for some of the love and help I receive, I often still miss other opportunities to express thanks.  Please forgive me if I have neglected to say thanks to you.

 

Every day God blesses us with life, with care, with forgiveness, and with His promises.  Every day God’s people bless each of us as their gratitude spills over in lives of faith.  Thank you, Lord, because You are good and Your love endures forever.  Thank you, children of God, for your partnership in the Gospel which blesses my life, and the work of God’s Church.

A Child of God, Seeking to SHOW thanks for the Lord’s many blessings,

Pastor Jonathan

 


 

P.P.S.  Tomorrow, November 17, we have an opportunity to say thanks to God, with our Stewardship Sunday and Thanksgiving Pot Luck after late worship!!

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment