Saturday, February 15, 2014

Seeking to Love Others Like Jesus Did


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Many of you know that Kathy and I just returned from 2 weeks of vacation in Gainesville, FL.  We visited with family; my dad, my brothers, my sister, and other family live in and near Gainesville.  We took it easy.  We worshiped in the congregation where I was formed in faith in my Junior High and High School years, and beyond.  And . . . we saw some old friends. 

 

In fact, in visiting with a high school classmate I did something I haven’t done since perhaps 1972.  One of my high school classmates invited me and Kathy to a “Winter Party” where he and his band, the Dixie Desperados, were playing.  His band was actually pretty well known in the area in the late 70’s and early 80’s, and they just released a new CD produced by the same man who produced albums for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.  (Tom Petty and a number of other musicians graduated from my high school, Gainesville High.)

 

I actually enjoyed the “cowboy rock” they played, and Kathy and I enjoyed watching the people.  The only one I knew at the party was my friend from high school.  But, there were quite a few folks our age who grew up with this band.  We even enjoyed meeting the drummer’s parents who were my dad’s age, and who did some western dancing.  But, there were also quite a few folks out for a good time, dressed to impress, and enjoying the drinks served by the bar.  At the beginning I told Kathy, “This is not the crowd I am used to being with.” 

 

Then I got to thinking.  Jesus would have been comfortable in this setting.  The music was fun.  People were enjoying one another’s company.  The setting was such that people shared openly and enjoyed God’s gift of life. 

 

The story is told in Luke about Jesus spending time with the local crowd.  The first two verses of Luke 15 read, 1 Now the tax collectors and ‘sinners’ were all gathering around to hear him. 2 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, ‘This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.’”  Jesus was criticized for spending time with the local folks who weren’t the normal crowd of the religious leaders.  But, it was the religious leaders who didn’t listen to Jesus’ teaching on repentance and faith.  That is why Jesus told 3 parables which share God’s joy at the repentance and faith of those who might be considered sinners. 

 

These common folks loved hearing Jesus’ teaching on God’s love and forgiveness, and they often more quickly responded to Jesus’ teachings on how children of God are to live.

 

Please don’t get me wrong.  Jesus did not encourage the people of his day to live sinful lives.  But, Jesus came as the Savior, who died to pay for the sins of the whole world, and who rose to win eternal life.  Jesus loves everyone, and often those who most readily respond to Jesus are those who know they need forgiveness.

 

I thought to myself, “If this was a crowd where Jesus would have been comfortable, how about me?  Am I willing to welcome any and everyone to the love of God?”  That question caused me to stop.  How about you?

 

A Child of God, Thankful for Jesus’ love for everyone,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  I can share a few pictures of our time in FL at this web site.  https://plus.google.com/photos/114993745799525883148/albums/5980464309787132161?banner=pwa

 

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

******

 

THANK YOU to those who led worship while I was on vacation.  Thank you to

·         Garry Forrester who led worship on Sunday, February 2.

·         Pastor Allen who led worship on Sunday, February 9.

·         John Glaser who led worship on Wednesday, January 29, and

·         Karl Kopperud who led worship on Wednesday, February 5!

 

CONFIRMATION RETREAT  -  Confirmation students from grades 6 – 8 will be attending our yearly Confirmation retreat at Victory Bible camp, February 21-23.  This year’s theme is “Growing as a Mature Christian in the Midst of This World’s Temptations.  As a theme verse we will use the description of Jesus’ process of maturing.  In Luke 2:52 we are told, “And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.”  Our young people will consider growing in maturity in mind, in body, in relationship with God and with others.  Please turn in registrations for your children soon!

 

GOLF GROUP??  The Palmer Golf Course has a deal where 10 people from a local business or group can buy season passes for a group rate.  Last year I believe it was $400 a person.  We would need 10 people to form such a group at St. John.  If you are interested in participating in this opportunity, please call Pastor Rockey at 841-4066.

 

WEDDING RETREAT – A Marriage Retreat will be held March 28-30 at the Alaska Sunset Lodge on the Northeast side of Big Lake.  Cost is half the normal price for the lodge, $200.00 a couple for the weekend.  We will have time for recreation, couple time, Bible Study and worship.  If you are interested in attending please see Linda Griese, Lara Stanley, or Kathy Rockey.

 

WEDNESDAY WORSHIP is held each week at 6:30 p.m. 

The goal for Wednesday worship is to provide an alternate opportunity for those who can’t make Sunday worship, and to provide extra opportunities for time with the Lord and His people for people who nevertheless can attend on Sundays.  The Wednesday services are smaller than Sunday services and the sermons are different from the Sunday service and sermon.  So, if a person wanted to attend worship on Sunday and Wednesday it would not be a repeat.  Come and join your brothers and sisters in worship!

 

STEWARDSHIP THOUGHT “What is my part in the Body of Christ, especially here at St. John?”

 

 

 

++++++

 

 

 

 

DID YOU KNOW THAT MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT ST. JOHN is available on our church website?  On our web page you can find sermons, newsletters, and these weekly devotions.  The link is:  http://www.stjohnpalmer.org

In fact, IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE YOUR MONTHLY CHURCH NEWSLETTER BY E-MAIL please e-mail Judy Stahancyk and let her know.  You can call at 745-3338, or e-mail Judy at judy@stjohnpalmer.org. If you receive the newsletter by e-mail it saves printing, postage, and time compiling the newsletter.  Also, you receive the monthly newsletter more quickly!!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment