Saturday, March 8, 2014

An Opportunity to Share Jesus


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

On Monday I went ice-fishing on a lake north of Sutton.  It was a beautiful March day.  The sun shone brightly.  Snow covered the lake, which was surrounded by forest and mountains.  My dog was along and, in between nuzzling me to be scratched behind her ears, she enjoyed exploring the lake around our fishing spot.  And, best of all, this past Monday the fish were biting.  It was an opportunity to enjoy God’s beautiful creation in all it’s March Alaskan glory.

 

But, something happened to give this beautiful day a special surprise.  While I was enjoying a spring Alaska day one of the folks who had a home on the lake started walking across the ice.  It took a while for him to reach me on his snow shoes.  But when he reached me we visited.  First, we discussed the obvious; we talked about the beautiful weather.  Then we talked fishing and he admired the first fish I had caught.  We also discussed how long we had each lived in Alaska, where we were from originally, and we discussed our jobs. 

 

When the man who lived on the lake discovered I was a pastor the conversation took off even more.  We discussed the creative love of God we were experiencing on that day.  We talked about the forgiving grace and love of God in our lives.

 

Now, when I went fishing on Monday I was looking for some outdoor recreation and a quiet get away.  I was not expecting an opportunity to discuss God’s love in my life.  I’m sure when the man with whom I talked walked across the lake to meet me he wasn’t expecting a discussion about his faith, nor was he expecting a discussion about God’s love.  But God provided an opportunity and we took it.  What  a privilege!

 

When God moved Peter to write to Christians who were forced from Jerusalem by persecution, Peter wrote, “But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,” (1 Peer 3:15)  Even in their persecution these Christians had hope in Jesus.  Peter encouraged them to be ready for unexpected opportunities to share their hope in God’s love.

 

How do we prepare for these opportunities to share God’s love and grace in Jesus?  Knowing what God has written in Scripture is surely a help.  But, sometimes knowing Scripture is more general knowledge than personal knowledge.  How has God’s forgiving love given you new life?  Where have God’s unexpected blessings surprised you?  What does the hope of eternal life mean as you have faced the trials of life?  Knowing the answers to these questions takes our faith from general knowledge to our own personal experience with God Himself. 

 

This has been a week of such sharing for me.  Not only have I shared with others they have shared with me in the hospital, in their homes, and also on a lake north of Sutton.

 

Can you remember when God blessed you with the opportunity to share Him with another?  Such sharing is more than a responsibility.  Sharing how Jesus has blessed you personally is a joy and privilege.

 

A Child of God, Thankful for an opportunity to share God’s love with others,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here are some pictures from Monday’s fishing trip.  https://plus.google.com/photos/114993745799525883148/albums/5988317091297708305?banner=pwa

 

****

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment