Saturday, March 7, 2015

A Lenten Journey of Law and Gospel, Repentance and Faith


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

I recently read a prayer, I prayed this prayer, and this prayer and it’s plea to our Lord is helping me with my Lenten journey. 

 

As our special mid-week Lenten worship has focused on the words of Jesus from the cross I am again finding myself convicted of my sin.  I watch Jesus suffering on the cross and I realize again that it is my personal hard headedness that required Jesus’ suffering for my sins.  I listen to Jesus’ words and can bring back memories of times that I have hurt others.  My sin and my failure make me sad and convict me of my guilt.

 

There is a spiritual benefit in knowing our guilt.  Lutherans talk about God’s Law and God’s Gospel.  God’s Law is like a mirror that shows us our sin and our rebellion.  We have probably all experienced God’s  law pointing us to our failure.  God’s Gospel is the good news that points us to God’s forgiving love in Jesus.  God gave the ultimate sacrifice, the death of Jesus, to pay the price our sins deserved.  Jesus takes our punishment.  What love!

 

Sometimes people can take God’s love and forgiveness for granted.  I have seen people act like we deserve the love of God.  But, when God’s law points to our sin and we realize the penalty we deserve, then we see that the love of God is an amazing, undeserved gift of grace.

 

The prayer I read was written by Henry Vaughn.  He was an English medical doctor who lived from 1621-1695.  Vaughn suffered serious illness which resulted in a deep spiritual conversion. He wrote on the whole range of emotional experience.

 

This prayer from Vaughn helps me to acknowledge my sin, and reminds me of God’s “amazing grace.”

            My dear, dear God! 

I do not know

            What lodged thee then,

Nor where, nor how;

            But I am sure

Thou now dost come

            Oft to a narrow, homely room,

            Where thou too hast but the least part,

            My God. 

I mean my sinful heart.  Amen

 

I am sure my own heart is a narrow homely room.  I am tempted and often fail.  I deserve the condemnation and punishment of God.

 

Imagine that my God, the Creator of the universe and the holy Savior of the world, would come to my narrow, homely, sinful heart!  But, God’s Word speaks truth to my life and compassion to my heart.  The Spirit speaks through my conscience like a doctor who points to my personal illness or injury and makes a diagnosis I know to be true.  God’s love in the face of my sin brings a surprise of joy.  God’s forgiveness for my specific failure brings sweet refreshing water to a parched soul. 

 

And, the truth of God’s law and the victory of God’s grace give me energy and life to keep going.  I want to serve my Lord because of the grace of His love.

 

There is another poem and prayer of praise that most people know which is another accurate reflection of our journeys as children of God.

            Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound.

            That saves a wretch like me.

            I once was lost, but now am found.

            Was blind, but now I see. 

 

Well that is a glimpse into my Lenten journey again this year.  I am seeking to acknowledge my sin and live in the grace and forgiveness God has won for me as Jesus nails my sins to the cross.  How is your Lenten journey going?

 

A Child of God, Sorry for my sin, and Thankful for God’s Forgiveness,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S. That last poem and hymn is written by John Newton.  He had been a slave trader and became a pastor.  His past sin helped Him to realize the “amazing grace” of God’s love.

 

P.P.S.  Last Monday I went ice fishing again.  I thought I might have a granddaughter with me but she decided not to come.   So, I chose a lake in which I had yet fished this year, one with a very steep access.  I caught a limit of 5 rainbow trout.  Three of the five were over 13 inches.  Two were over 16”.  My granddaughter did ask to eat fish when I returned home, so she got her wish.   https://plus.google.com/photos/114993745799525883148/albums/6123399455159385825?banner=pwa

 

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . .

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment