Friday, March 20, 2015

Believing in God's Love, Even While Asking "Why?"


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

On Thursday I was talking to a mom about her son who is seriously ill.  We talked while passing in the hallway, but the conversation was on a deep topic.  We began talking about the illness of her son and I shared my own frustrations about his illness and confessed to her, “Sometimes I just want to ask God, ‘Why?!’”. 

 

There are all sorts of ways to ask that “Why?” question.  Why did this happen?  Why did it happen in our family?  We are told God is loving, so why is God allowing this pain and evil to happen?  Why?

 

But then I shared with this mom what I don’t believe Scripture says.  I do not believe we can say, “God has a purpose” in a way that implies that perhaps “God caused the illness.”  Saying that God caused a specific illness is contrary to what Jesus taught in Scripture verses like Luke 13 and John 9.  Yet, if God is all powerful, AND if God is loving, then why does this happen?

 

By chance (or not), in my personal devotion on Friday morning one of the main readings assigned was a well known section of Scripture that included Romans 8:28.  In this verse God says,And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

 

Please notice what this Romans 8 Bible verse does say.  “ . . . in all things God WORKS.”  It does not say that God causes the pain or evil or illness of life.  Scripture teaches that God created a good and perfect world which was changed by sin.  Sin is the cause of trials and tribulations.  Sin is the cause of temptations and suffering.  Sin, ours and that of the world around us, is the cause of death and mourning.  Sin is the cause, not God. 

 

Yet thankfully, even in a world of sin, God works!  He can work His purpose and God even uses the tragedies we face to accomplish good.

 

Do you know how a computer works?  I know some people can explain the hardware and software of a computer, but that is beyond my understanding.  I just know that, when I have gone to the keyboard, my computer responds to my commands.  Because of my training in what a computer does, and because of my experience on the computer, I have come to trust that my computer works even though I do not totally understand.  If I don’t understand a computer but trust that it works, why should I be surprised that I don’t understand how God works?  But I still trust the Lord with my life? 

 

A key to understanding these questions is Jesus’ own suffering and death.  Why did the Son of God suffer and die?  Actually, Jesus did not have to do this.  Jesus is the holy and righteous Son of God.  But, the love of God for sinful people caused the Father to send the Son into this world.  The love of the Son for those who were lost caused Him to search for us and to save us.  The sin of the world requires justice.  So, in love God worked!  Jesus went to the cross to pay for my sins and yours.  In answer to the question “Why?”, God answers “because I love you, through Jesus.”

 

So, as the mom and I spoke, even though I don’t know why her son is ill, I do know that God the Father who sent His son is working love through Jesus.  I don’t know how.  I just know that God loves me.  I know that Jesus died for me.  And I know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

 

A Child of God, Believing in God’s love, even though I don’t always understand,

Pastor Jonathan


P.S.  Please consider attending the Jeremy Wedge Cancer fund raiser this Saturday, March 21, or contributing to this effort.  I will not be at the meal, but will be at the marriage retreat.  However, your attendance can help a young couple faithfully fighting cancer.  See below for more details.

 

P.P.S.  Please also consider the notice below about this Sunday’s Shane Woods Ice Fishing Outing.

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . .

 

****

 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment