Friday, May 8, 2015

I'm THANKFUL God is Wiser than I Am!


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Do you ever have questions for God?  Most Christians have questions.  Even some who do not claim to be disciples of Jesus would like some answers.  Some questions have crossed my mind.  Other questions people ask me because I am a pastor.  For example:

 

·         How can there be one God and three persons?

·         Who did Cain and Seth marry?

·         Why is there evil in the world?

·         How can Jesus be God and also be a man?

·         How can Jesus give His body and blood in the Lord’s Supper?

·         Why does God answer some prayers just as I hoped, and other prayers don’t receive my desired answer?

·         How can the eternal Lord of all, die on a cross?  I thought God was eternal.

 

There are many more questions that come to the mind of a person of faith.  Sometimes, not knowing the answers to these intriguing and possibly troubling questions can be frustrating.  However, I think I was more frustrated when I was younger, and now I am more accepting of the mysteries of God.  (Look at 1 Corinthians 4:1 or Ephesians 5:32)

 

Actually, I find comfort in knowing that I don’t understand everything.  The older I get and the more I have learned, I find out even more how much I do not know.  The older I get, the more I realize how finite my mind and my wisdom are. 

 

God tells us in Isaiah 55:8-9 8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. 9 As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”  I find comfort in knowing that God is wiser than I am and that His ways are beyond mine!

 

Actually, the ultimate mystery of all is the cross of Christ.  If God is all powerful and righteous why would he allow His Son, Jesus, to be falsely accused and brutally tortured and killed?  In 1 Corinthians 1:22-25 we are told,  22 Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

 

Sometimes God’s ways don’t make sense to our sinful human minds.  But God acts in ways that seem foolish to us to give us His love and to save us from ourselves and our sin.  We may not always understand what God does or how He accomplishes what He does, but we do know that our Lord is reaching out to all people to give eternal life through faith in Jesus.

 

There are some difficult mysteries in Scripture.  But, there are also simple truths.  Martin Luther called John 3:16 the Gospel in a nutshell. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.”

There are some truths of God that are beyond our understanding.  By believing we accept that God is working powerfully to save us through Jesus.  This faith carries us through the frustrations of life and gives us peace even when we don’t understand.

 

A Child of God, THANKFUL God is wiser than I am!,

Pastor Jonathan

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . .

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment