Saturday, July 18, 2015

How Commited are You to the One who Died for US?


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Now that I am back from vacation with family, and the 4th of July holiday and Vacation Bible School are completed, I am trying to catch up on visits of people who are ill or confined to their homes.  One person I am visiting now was in the hospital previously when I visited, and then released as they improved.  However, her health has now put this person back in the hospital.  I’m talking about Mary Colberg’s mom, Pat Mills.  Please keep Pat in prayer.

 

Pat has heart problems that make breathing difficult.  In addition, her health problems can make talking a real effort and chore.  She is often exhausted after speaking and needs to take time to catch her breath.  But, when I visited Pat during her last stay in the hospital she had a roommate who really wanted to hear about God’s love.  So, during my visits we included Pat’s hospital roommate in devotion and prayer.  I also left some written materials for Pat and for her roommate.  Then, after I left Pat would share God’s love with her roommate in times they were alone.

 

Mary pointed out to me about her mom, “She’s using her precious breath to share the love of God.”  Imagine, having trouble breathing or talking, and using what little breath you have to serve God and share His love!  That is faith and commitment! 

 

Actually, I also remember a similar incident with now deceased, long time St. John member, Lillian Stamm.  In her last days I visited Lillian in Valley Hospital once with my son, Timothy.  Lillian also had trouble breathing and talking.  But, she used the little breath she had to remind Tim about how much Jesus loved him, and how important it is for Timothy to live for Jesus.  Lillian too is an example of real Christian commitment!

 

What is your level of commitment to our Lord?  I have recently had a number of conversations about this issue others.  It seems to me that in America people are trading in one “C” trait for another “C” trait.  I wonder if people have not given up “commitment” for “choice.” 

 

I personally see that attitude when it comes to marriage.  God’s plan for marriage and family is for a man and woman to commit to one another in marriage before living together.  I know that is not the practice of most today.  Often, the freedom of “choice” replaces the responsibility and blessings of commitment. 

 

I also see similar behavior when it comes to God’s Church.  Being part of the family of God in a local congregation can include responsibility, and can be scary.  So, people at time choose to attend and participate as they feel able, but may still refrain from commitments to the church for various reasons.  I understand that no local congregation is perfect.  I understand that people have been hurt in Christian churches.  I also understand being overly busy with multiple commitments.   But, what best serves our Lord and His work?

 

However, please think about Jesus and His commitment to us. Paul writes, For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, so that you through His poverty might become rich.”  (2 Corinthians 8:9)

 

Jesus left the presence of His Father and the joys of heaven to take on the poverty, the suffering, and the sin of this world.  Jesus was so committed to us that He suffered and died so that we can have the blessings and abundant grace of eternal life with our Lord.  Even more than Pat and Lillian, this sacrifice of Jesus shows the love and commitment Jesus has for us!!

 

As a called and saved child of God, one who knows the sacrifice and love of Jesus for us, how is your level of commitment for Him?

 

A Child of God, Seeking to Live a Life COMMITED to my Lord!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here is a picture of the baptism of David and Leif Neslund on Sunday, July 12.   https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/BaptismsWinterSpring2015#6172556648905610994

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . .

 

****

No comments:

Post a Comment