Saturday, July 11, 2015

VBS Causes Me to Remember God's Love for Children


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

This past week St. John has offered Vacation Bible School to the children of St. John and the Palmer community.  The theme for VBS was “Hometown Nazareth- Where Jesus was a Kid.”  What a blessing to see children growing in their knowledge and understanding of Jesus!  What a blessing to see children singing and dancing to songs of faith!  What a blessing to see young children hug each other with joy as they arrive each day, and to see them hug as they say good-bye at the end of each session!

 

As a parent and grandparent I have a personal interest in our Vacation Bible School.  I had a daughter helping, and 5 grandchildren attending.  Mary helped to lead the Preschool children.  The preschool group was full with 25 in attendance, and others were wishing they could have attended.  Josh and Erin’s oldest three children, Jake, Emma, and Henry attended classes for their age level.  Andy and Justine’s children, Jackson and Kendall, made the trip from Peters’ Creek each day to attend.

 

And, this year I had a VBS experience that was both humorous and heartwarming to me.  On Wednesday I got a text from Andy saying that Jackson had an ear-ache.  The only doctor’s appointment they were able to schedule was during VBS, so Jackson and Kendall wouldn’t be attending that day.  I responded, hoping that Jackson would feel better and I hoped to see him on Thursday.

 

But, to my surprise, as I was teaching I turned around and there were Justine and Jackson and Kendall.  Justine told me Jackson said he was feeling better.  Kendall, who is four, told me about her brother, “He cried because he couldn’t go to VBS.”

 

I don’t like to see my grandson cry, but Kendall’s words bring joy to my heart!  I believe that the greatest gift that parents and grandparents can give their children and grandchildren is the grace and love and life of Jesus.  Take a moment sometime and read Matthew 18:1-14 and listen to all the ways that Jesus talks about His love for children.  Jesus calls others to the faith of children. (Matthew 18:3-4)  He warns against leading children astray.  (Matthew 18:6)  Jesus shares the special attention of angels with which God cares for children.  (Matthew 18:10)  Then, in the parable of the lost lamb, Jesus shares how God loves each child and wants none to be lost.  (Matthew 18:12-14)   

 

A number of years ago at a sharing session in a Church Workers Conference Kathy shared with those present her favorite Bible verse.  3 John 4 says, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.”  It is a JOY when our children and grand-children know Jesus, who is “the way, the truth, and the life.” 

 

On Tuesday night Jackson and Kendall stayed with us for the evening and went with Kathy and me to a wedding reception.  On the way to the party I heard Kendall singing.  She was singing VBS songs about Jesus.

 

As a parent and grandparent who is a Christian I know that the greatest gift in my life is the love of my Savior Jesus.  I want my children and grandchildren to have this gift too.

 

A Child of God, Thankful for Jesus’ love for Children,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here are pictures of the baptism of Hudson Eric Luthi in early service last Sunday, July 5.  https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/BaptismsWinterSpring2015#6169975386822558626

 

 

P.P.S.  THANK YOU 2015 St. John VBS teachers and helpers!  Thank you, DCE Jamie, and St. John Board of Education.  What a blessing to offer Jesus to the children of Palmer so that they grow as Jesus’ little lambs and sing about Him as they travel!  There is nothing more valuable than Jesus in the heart of one of His children.  Here are some Vacation Bible School pictures from this week.  https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/2015StJohnVacationBibleSchool

 

 

P.P.P.S.  The St. John Facebook page has 5 videos posted, one for each day of  VBS.  Go here to see the videos.  https://www.facebook.com/stjohnpalmer  Did you know there is information about St. John on our Facebook page AND on our webpage?!  http://stjohnpalmer.org/main_pages/links.htm

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . .

 

****

No comments:

Post a Comment