Friday, October 23, 2015

Delighting in Weakness


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

One of the tasks a pastor does that I truly enjoy is visiting people.  I visit for many reasons, but often to bring the comfort of God’s word and prayer to those going through some kind of illness or injury.

 

Last spring and summer I was often visiting Megan Nystrom who was receiving treatment for cancer.  One day as I visited I read a Bible verse and then Megan and I talked.  She told me how the trials of cancer had helped her to see even more clearly the blessings and love of God.  She said I could share this.  Imagine seeing blessings from the trials of cancer!  That is truly faith in action.  But, that really is how God works.  We often see His love in our trials.

 

I saw God at work again this week.  I visited Paul Scott who had returned home from the hospital.  Paul had a major accident on his motorcycle on Whidby Island, WA, this past August and suffered many broken bones and other injuries.  Then, to make matters worse, or so it seemed at the time, when the doctors were x-raying Paul for injuries they found something on his kidney.  Paul’s family has a history of kidney cancer, and that is what this “something” turned out to be.  Paul had experienced no symptoms, so neither he nor his doctor knew the cancer was there.  But, on October 12 Paul had the cancerous kidney removed.  The surgeons confirmed the tumor had been cancer, but found that it was totally contained in the kidney.  According to his doctor, Paul is now cancer free.  I commented to Paul what a blessing the accident had been, that the doctors had found the cancer.  Paul replied, “I’m looking at it that way.  The doctor said that by the time I experienced symptoms it would have been too late to stop the cancer.”  It is amazing to me each time I see God use some trial or tragedy to bring His love and blessings!

 

Thursday night in our Elders’ meeting we began the meeting by looking at a number of Bible verses that talk about the strength of God for our lives.  One of the sections of Scripture we considered was 2 Corinthians 12:7-10.  7 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

 

We don’t often choose to “delight in weakness.”  It can be hard to rejoice at times because of suffering we experience.  But, sometimes we work so diligently to take care of ourselves that we think the blessings in life come from our own hard work.  By the way, let me tell you this idea is incorrect.  The blessings of God for our lives are gifts of grace, freely given.

 

So, then when we cannot work because of illness or trial, yet we are still blessed, we are better able to see the hand of God.  God’s blessings have always been there, only now we see them for what they are.  That truly is reason for “delighting in weakness,” to be able to see more clearly the love of God in our lives.

 

Actually, God is always present in our lives working for our good.  Sometimes we do take God’s grace for granted.  Sometimes we have to be reminded.  In Romans 8:28, Paul tells us, And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”  Really?  God works for good in ALL things? 

 

Please consider with me.  Is there anything worse that could happen for the created universe than for our Creator God to die?  But, Jesus, the Son of God and God Himself, died to pay for the sins of the people He created and loves.  God forgives us because of Jesus’ death.  And, because He died for sin and then rose, Jesus defeated sin and death and Satan, enemies over which we have no power.  God offers us this victory as we trust in Jesus as our Savior from sin.  You see, God used the worst possible loss, to accomplish the greatest possible victory.  Yes, God really does work for good in ALL things!

 

So, what trial, or loss, or injury, or illness, are you facing right now?  Have you seen God’s grace in your struggle?  Can you with Paul, “delight in your weakness.”  God is working to bring you His grace, especially through Jesus.  I pray you get to see and rejoice in the loving grace of God in your life.  Thank you Megan!  Thank you Paul, for your faith which pointed to God’s grace.

 

A Child of God, Delighting in Weakness,

Pastor Jonathan

 

****

 

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment