Friday, December 11, 2015

"Prepare the Way for . . . THE LORD"


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

When I was pastor in Florida our family would celebrate Christmas Eve with our congregation in Jacksonville and then we would drive to Gainesville where my parents lived.  My mom and dad’s five children and the grandchildren would all gather at their home for the Christmas meal, for exchanging gifts, and for some down time and holiday time together.  As I watched her, my mother never seemed happier than when she had all her children and grandchildren in her home.

 

But, having the family at her home took a lot of preparation by my parents.  In addition to buying the food, and decorating the house, my mom would get all the bedrooms prepared for the out-of-town family.  She used to rearrange the furniture, make room for all the kids, and make the beds.  Kathy and I would sleep in 2 single beds that my mom tied together with a piece of yarn.  That was her special touch, along with a little humor.  But, her preparation for loved ones at Christmas time took a lot of effort and time.

 

You know that Christmas is fast approaching.  Are you ready?    I have two suggestions to help you with your preparation.

 

First, let me take a lesson from my parents to listen to God’s instructions about preparing.  For my mom, preparing for Christmas was preparing for loved ones.  God sent John the Baptist to share the words first spoken by Isaiah.  “Prepare the way of the Lord.”  (Luke 3:4)  Preparing for Christmas is not really about preparing for a holiday or for an occasion.  Preparing for Christmas is about preparing for the one who loves us the most.  We are preparing for the birth of our Lord and Savior.  We are preparing for Jesus, the Son of God himself.

 

In that Luke 3 passage John tells the people of his day that this preparation happens when the hills are made low and the crooked roads are straightened.  We prepare for Jesus to come to us when we lower ourselves and straighten crooked roads in our lives.  When we admit our sin and failure and when seek to turn away from our sin, we are lowering the hills of pride and selfishness and straightening the crooked ways of sin.  And, when we know our sin, we know how very much we need a Savior.  When we know our need for a Savior we are less likely to trust ourselves and more ready to trust the one who came to earth for us, who died for us, and who rose again.  God is calling us to prepare our hearts to receive Him in repentance and faith.

 

Martin Luther said this better, however, in a Christmas hymn he wrote, “From Heaven Above.”

         Ah, dearest Jesus, holy Child,

Prepare a bed, soft, undefiled,

A quiet chamber set apart

For You to dwell within my heart.

 

Secondly, as we seek to prepare our hearts to receive Jesus, please consider a verse from the Psalms.  "Be still, and know that I am God;"  (Psalm 46:10)  To prepare for Jesus to come to us, it is good to “be still”, to take time alone for you and God.  Be still and consider God’s grace, that He loves us in spite of our rebellion.  Take quiet time and meditate on the wonder of Christmas, that God became man.  Set time aside to bask in the miracle that the Lord and Creator of all, the One and Only, knows and loves each one of us and has come to save us.  Spending more time shopping or decorating doesn’t prepare our hearts for God.  But, time in worship, time in prayer, time reading the Scriptures, time with our Lord prepares a place in our heart for Him to come to us. 

 

For years my mom prepared her home for our Christmas visit.  Her preparation showed us how much she loved us.  Our Alaska family will gather in our home this Christmas, and it will be one of the happiest times of the year for my wife, Kathy, and I.  But, ultimately, Christmas is about Jesus coming to us, and we want to receive Him in repentance, in faith, in love.  “Prepare the way for the Lord.

 

A Child of God, Preparing my heart for JESUS this Advent,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here is a picture after the first day of ice fishing this winter - https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/IceFishingWinter20152016

 

P.P.S.  Kathy posted this picture of our family on Facebook.  This was from 1983.  Who is that guy with hair???? You can also look at the other pictures in this album. https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/FamilyChristmas#6227121161771775650

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

No comments:

Post a Comment