Friday, May 27, 2016

Thankful That Jesus Does Not Change


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Computers are supposed to make life simpler.  At least that is what I have been told.  But recent computer changes have caused me many complications and frustrations.  Maybe you’ve had similar experiences.

 

A couple of months ago our internet provider changed their e-mail system.  I’m told the change was to make the system safer.  But, these changes caused problems for me in sending my e-mail devotions.  I have spent much time on the phone with technical assistants.  So finally, after multiple calls, including last week, I think we have the issues taken care of . . . for now.

 

But, my internet provider is not the only one making changes.  In the past month my bank changed their web page for accessing my accounts.  The changes required a new password.  I also spent time on the phone with bank employees figuring out the new system.  After years of conducting banking online, being unable to access my account was inconvenient.  I think I understand the changes and can use the new website . . . for now.

 

In the same time period my Facebook and Google accounts required new passwords.  So, with new passwords required for my internet, and for my bank, and for Facebook and Google, I have had to write all the passwords down so I don’t forget them, because there are so many.  Do you have the same issue with passwords?

 

After these changes were taking place I got a new computer with a new operating system, Windows 10.  For some reason some of my software did not work the same with Windows 10 as it did on my old computer with other operating systems.  One of those programs that wouldn’t work was my Quicken program for my personal checking account and finances.  I was on the phone for over an hour and a half with a representative from my Quicken program.  Part of that hour and a half on the phone was 40 minutes that we talked while my computer downloaded a “fix” to the Quicken program.  It seems they had seen this issue before.  Computer changes were causing issues for the computer industry as well for individual users.

 

I was also having another problem with my e-mail.  So, after sharing the problem, the technical representative got on my computer remotely and deleted an address file.  But, the next time I got on my computer the address was there again.  Hmmm.  This IS frustrating.

 

One of my family’s favorite movies is “Grumpy Old Men.”  In that movie one of the main characters, Max Goldman played by Walter Mathau, tells his friend, John Gustafson played by Jack Lemmon, “I hate change!”  Not all changes are bad.  Sometimes change can be good.  For example, I’m always happy when I have been ill, but my illness changes and I am well again.  But, at times I can understand the sentiments expressed in that movie.  Change can cause frustration, confusion, and can even cost us money.

 

So, let me share good news with you.  Scripture tells us about Jesus, Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8)  We live in a world where the changes of life can bring confusion, frustration, and trouble.  Some changes are more serious than others.  In the movie I quoted, the change Max hated was the death of a friend.

 

But in a world of frustrating and troubling changes there is something we can count on.  God loves us so much that He sent His Son.  That doesn’t change.  As we believe in Jesus we are forgiven.  That doesn’t change.  Because of the unchanging grace of God, those who believe in Jesus will live with Him forever, where there is no pain, or death, or tears – where there is no change! (Revelation 21:4) 

 

When we aren’t sure anything in life will remain the same, we can be sure of God’s love, in Jesus.  Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.”

 

A Child of God, Thankful to be able to count on God’s love in Jesus,

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment