Sunday, June 5, 2016

Seeking Rest, Finding Rest in Jesus


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

I was hoping to go salmon fishing this past week or so, but . . . there has been too much going on.  From Church Workers’ Conferences and wonderful family opportunities, to the need to spend time with God’s people, and with getting ready for the St. John Community Picnic and for Vacation Bible School, I am still waiting for that first salmon fishing trip.  I’m waiting for that time outdoors, on the river, when the hand of God is evident and God speaks through His creation to bring peace and rest.

 

How about you?  Does it seem to you that life is getting faster and busier?  Is it hard in the busy-ness of life to slow down enough to enjoy the presence of God?  Our culture has patterned its seasons so that Summer is supposed to be a time when life slows down because school is out of session.  But it seems with school out there are so many activities that schedule in the summer because these events and activities cannot happen when school is meeting. So summer is also busy, just a different kind of busy.

 

While we tend to think that busy-ness is a modern phenomenon, actually some of the same stresses occurred in Jesus’ time too.  (See Matthew 9:35-36, Mark 6:31-32)  For people who were harassed and tired Jesus had a solution, an offer.  Jesus tells the people of His day, and also calls to us, 28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

 

Do you hear what Jesus says?  Rest is found in HIM!  For people who are sick with guilt, with regret and failure, Jesus gives rest through real forgiveness won by His sacrificial suffering and death.  For people who are overwhelmed by the troubles and pressures of life, Jesus assures us that He loves us.  For people who are harried and not even sure where they are going, Jesus not only calls us to Himself, He comes to us, and is with us through the busy-ness of the day.

 

I confess that at times I forget this rest that is available every day in Jesus.  But, sometimes Jesus catches my attention and I am blessed and refreshed.  On Monday I drove to Fairbanks for a Lutheran Workers Conference, driving back on Wednesday.  The beauty I saw on the drive, and the time alone in the car to think and pray, filled my soul with the presence and the love and the blessings of God. 

 

And, every morning I start the day with devotional Bible readings and prayer.  When I can focus enough, and that focus does happen regularly by the grace of God, God speaks to me and gives His direction, His wisdom, His love, and His strength as I start the day.  I go to Him, but, He comes to me in His Word.  He comes to me in these times of silent meditation, and He comes to me in His answers to prayer.  So, even when life may seem crazy busy, the love and strength of God are there to give rest and peace.

 

And, as I worship with the people of God, Jesus comes to us in His word, in the sacraments of baptism and communion.  Jesus gives us rest on the day of rest.  When I am weary from busy-ness, going to Jesus as He comes to us gives rest for our souls.

 

As summer approaches, as you seek for times of refreshment and rest, don’t forget the real source of rest for our lives.  The love and forgiveness and the presence of Jesus help us through the troubled and busy times of our lives, and help us to receive peace and joy found only in our Loving Lord.

 

A Child of God, Seeking Rest, Finding Rest in Jesus,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  While I did not go salmon fishing last week, I did get to take some grandchildren out to test the boat on Friday.  I am told they went home and each ate their own fish.  Here are a few pictures.  https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/6292094299322026097

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 


No comments:

Post a Comment