Friday, August 12, 2016

A Fleeting Life and an Eternal Promise


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

While Kathy and I were traveling in July we attended the 45th reunion of my graduating class at Gainesville High School.  It was the first time I have been able to attend one of my class reunions because I have always lived out of town when past reunions were held. 

 

It was fun to reconnect with some old friends.  But, not everyone I hoped to see at the reunion was present.  Some former classmates sent notice that they were unable to attend.  But there were others who were missing for another reason.  Posted in the entry way to the room where we ate was a list entitled, “In Memoriam – Remembering and honoring our classmates who left us much too soon.” 

 

I attended a large high school, and my graduating class had over 960 students.  So, the list of people who are no longer with us was a long list.  In fact, I recently went back to look at the list and counted 88 people who were named.

 

As I read the list that night I was surprised and I was saddened.  A girl who had sat beside me in English class is no longer with us.  The former girlfriend of one of my best friends died of cancer.   A husband and wife couple from our class both passed away.  And one of my best friends was on the list.  This man had spent many hours in my home as a youth, and had visited me in St. Louis, in Florida, and even in Alaska.  I had actually learned in 2012 of the death of this friend, so his passing was not a surprise.  But seeing his name along with the 87 others brought me to a stop.

 

Seeing this list caused me to think of what Peter wrote, quoting Isaiah 40, 23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. 24 For, ‘All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, 25 but the word of the Lord stands forever.’ And this is the word that was preached to you.” (1 Peter 1:23-25)

 

The list at my reunion showed me the truth of God’s word, “All men are like grass.”  We can take the gift of life for granted.  Perhaps the fact that I expected to see some of those people on the list at the reunion shows that I have taken my life for granted.  But, as Peter points out life is fleeting.  None of us knows when death may come. 

 

The fleeting nature of life also shows us how much we need the mercy and the salvation which God gives through faith in Jesus.  Thankfully, Peter tells us that that where ‘All men are like grass and life is fragile, there is something that does last forever.  “The word of the Lord stands forever.’ And, where life might be fragile and fleeting, God gives new life when He creates faith through the power of his enduring word.  23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.  Thank the Lord that in this life, where little is sure, God gives eternal life by the power of His word.

 

I don’t know about all my classmates, but I do know that the good friend on the list was a member of the church in which I grew up in Gainesville.  When he and I saw each other, among other areas where we caught up, we also talked about our faith in Jesus.  Even as His life was taken too quickly, he has life that does not end with Jesus in heaven. 

 

This life may be fleeting, but through His word which does not pass away, God gives life that is eternal.  After looking at that list and being reminded of our mortality, I am thankful that God gives this gift of new and eternal life.

 

A Child of God, Realizing Again my Need for God’s Gift of Eternal Life,

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment