Saturday, August 20, 2016

Thankful for God's Gift of My Wife


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

August 20 is the 39th anniversary of the day that Kathy and I were married in Memphis, TN.  However, on that day 39 years ago the people of Memphis were somewhat distracted by another minor event.  Elvis Presley had died of a heart attack on Tuesday of that week.  Ask Kathy or ask me sometime about how Elvis’ death affected our wedding.  But, we can laugh about it today.

 

After 39 years of marriage I continue to learn.  For one thing I learn more about Kathy and about myself.  And as I learn I am amazed and thankful.  What a woman of faith, of grace, of wisdom, and of genuine personal caring God has used to bless her husband and family!  What a wonderful caring, dedicated mother my children have.  I continue to learn and to grow in being thankful for the blessing God has given me in my wife, Kathy.

 

After 39 years I also continue to learn more about the wisdom and love of God in creation.  When I have a tough day at work, Kathy is at home to listen.  That is part of the creation plan of God.  When I need a friend, Kathy, my best friend, is already at home.    That is the plan of God from the beginning.  When I have been ill, I have had a nurse at home to care for me, and sometimes to laugh at me.    That too is part of the plan of God for marriage.  When I seek to be father to my children using my values of discipline and responsibility, Kathy is the other side of God’s plan for parents that brings our children nurture and understanding.  That is the plan of God for parents and families.  Our God is truly wise, and marriage between a husband and wife is truly a gift from God. 

 

I also know that not all marriages are happy.  Not all wives or husbands know and follow God’s plan.  So, I have come to learn and understand the truth of Proverbs 31:29-31, 29 "’Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.’ 30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. 31 Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.”

 

But, I have also learned of another way that Kathy is a blessing to me, and to my calling as pastor.  Being a pastor has never been an easy job.  Pastors have eternal responsibilities to God and to His people.  And, as the values in our country change, there are more opportunities for difficulties and conflicts for pastors in congregations.  But, a pastor at least can do something about a concern which arises.  A pastor’s wife often sits at home and simply tries to quietly support her husband.  At least Kathy does.  It is not always easy to sit on the sidelines in prayer and watch someone you love go through difficulties.

 

And, how does a pastor’s wife participate in a congregation?  There are various theories that are all valid.  In some situations a pastor’s wife has been like another unpaid worker, leading many of the congregation’s programs.  However, sometimes people can complain that the wife of the pastor seems to be in charge of everything.  However, when Kathy and I were married the pastor who did our pre-marital counseling gave us a different model.   He said, “As a pastor’s wife do what you would normally do as a church member, or maybe a little less.  That allows others to grow by serving.  And, no one else can be husband to the pastor.”

 

With that advice I have watched my wonderful wife be a great pastor’s wife.  She is a servant who has helped on various boards and committees over the years (Fellowship Board, Youth Board, Adult Education Board, etc.) And she has volunteered in our congregation by cooking and sewing and teaching and being a mentor to younger women and wives.  What a blessing my wife is to St. John!  Imagine how much poorer our ministry would be if Kathy were not cooking, or sewing, or helping in other ways in our midst.

 

Along with Solomon, as our 39th anniversary is observed, both for our family and for our congregation I again echo the words of God through Solomon, 29 "’Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.’ 30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. 31 Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.”

 

A Child of God, Thankful for the Gift of My Faithful Wife, Kathy,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Kathy and I celebrated our anniversary with a dinner out on August 12.  Here is a picture from that celebration.  https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOieNvSdu0BR0bQedSokbYj89hqVequ_wXbS85dcIaGvono00gSoUnXXWeV_2A5EQ?key=LVR5LTdPeHFaZXpHU09wSzJncnBDVXJNeVdvelR3

 

 

P.P.S.  I have taken a number of people fishing. 


            Jim Summers and I went fishing on August 12.  Here was our catch. https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOs9p67bbeGVDhz8tQ9eVhrrzVw4VIdNDnVpm6L/photo/AF1QipM5zKOBDHNh1YeaCD0UQbkPgI-tyiL-ExZBLpEU

            Dave Nufer, Kym Miller and I went fishing on Monday, August 15.  Here is a picture. 


 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment