Friday, November 4, 2016

Praying for My Leaders and Praying for My Country


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

November is the month of our national Thanksgiving celebration.  Often I will write in November about all the reasons we have for giving thanks to our gracious Lord.  But this year, November is also the month of a national presidential election. 

 

And this year we have an election that seems to defy previous American history.  I have heard complaints from many about this presidential race.  But, the detailed negative descriptions of the candidates I recently read from the previous president of our denomination, President Jerry Kieschnick, cemented in my mind how different this election is.  Many are worried for our country because of those who are running for office.  I confess that my desire to exercise my Christian faith through voting in this election is seriously challenged as well.

 

However, God gives us His wisdom and advice when facing political concerns.  1 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” (1 Timothy 2:1-4) God’s plain and simple wisdom for His children is that we pray for our leaders.

 

Actually, praying for our leaders makes sense no matter who the leader is.  When we have leaders we respect we need to pray for them.  Being a leader is always difficult.  Leadership requires making decisions for people, often making decisions for people who have different opinions or who disagree.  Even a person of character and integrity needs the help and wisdom of God to lead a city, or a state, or a nation.  No wonder, when God asked young King Solomon what he desired as Solomon began serving as king, Solomon asked God for wisdom to rule.  (1 Kings 3:4-15)

 

Therefore, how much more do leaders whom we don’t totally trust need our prayers!  Leaders whose wisdom and integrity are in question can really use the help and direction of God.  Paul actually wrote these words about praying for leaders when Nero was emperor of the Roman Empire.  If you know anything about Nero, you know he seriously needed the guidance of God.  I can only imagine how bad life would have been for God’s people in Nero’s time if they had not been praying for him.

 

As an American, and as a Christian, I intend to exercise my right and responsibility to vote.  (Please remember, there are more races and issues on this ballot than just the presidential election.)  But, I will continue to spend much more time praying to the Lord, who is King of kings and Lord of lords, that He will guide our leaders and give them wisdom to follow His guidance.

 

Did you know Jesus shared how He exercised His leadership as God’s promised Messiah?  After some foolishness by His disciples, Jesus teaches them, saying, “. . . You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave-- 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."  (Matthew 20:25-28)  Jesus’ leadership style was not one of authoritative, forced compliance.  The leadership of Jesus was sacrificial servanthood, even to the point of giving His life on the cross.

 

My prayer this November is that our gracious God makes servants out of our leaders.

 

A Child of God, Praying for my Leaders, and for my Country,

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  Maybe we do have a reason for thanks this election month.  We can be thankful we’ve never had a Presidential election like this before.

 

P. P.S.  Don’t forget that Daylight Savings time ends this Saturday evening.  We “fall back” one hour for Sunday, November 6.

 

 

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment