Tuesday, August 15, 2017

What is the Poem of YOUR Life?


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Have you ever read a Bible verse and, while reading, seen or understood something that passed you by before?  On Tuesday I was reading my daily devotions from the Today’s Light Bible.  This is a Bible which leads a person through Scriptures in 2 years.  Before each reading is a “Focus” Note to help a person understand what they will be reading.  After each day’s Scripture, there is a devotion based on something found in the reading of that day.

 

On Tuesday I was reading through 2 Kings 17.  This is not necessarily a pleasant chapter.  These Bible verses list the idolatry and rebellion of God’s chosen people that led to the exile of the Northern Kingdom of Israel in Assyria.  (2 Kings 17:7)  The devotion for this reading, however, took a positive approach for our lives in comparison to the list of sins in 2 Kings 17.  In contrast to the list of sin, the devotion quotes Ephesians 2:8-10 where God tell us, 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

 

Yes, all of us have sinned.  We have failed in living perfectly as the people God made us to be.  But, through His grace God saves us from our sin by the life and death and resurrection of Jesus.  Because of God’s grace in Jesus, by His Spirit, God works new life in us.  In Ephesians 2, after telling us that we are saved by God’s grace through faith in Jesus, the Lord teaches us that He has created us for good works. 

 

The devotion on 2 Kings 17 then noted that in Classical Greek, the word for workmanship” (verse 10) can also be translated “poem” or “poetry.”  When our lives are made new by God’s grace, when we believe and serve God with lives of good works, what does the poem of your life look like?  Instead of listing your failures, how is God working to accomplish good through your life?  I confess, I have read this devotion before and missed this point.  I have read Ephesians 2:10, but missed out on considering how God created me so that the “poem of my life” could be a blessing to others.

 

So, what IS the poem of your life?  How is God using you?  How have you touched the lives of others for good?  Perhaps you are a special blessing to your children, your spouse, your family, and your life points to the grace of God.  Maybe your love and mercy have touched the lives of folks in your neighborhood.  Maybe the people at your place of work are led to praise God because of your wisdom, your faithfulness and commitment.

 

Maybe your gifts of time have helped others in your community.  Perhaps your donations of resources to God’s church have provided ministry that touches others with love and faith.  Perhaps your prayers have been answered in ways that bring blessings to others you cannot begin to imagine.

 

On the one hand, it is easy to be shamed by our failures and weaknesses.  But, what joy there is when God uses weak vessels like us and touches the lives of others and brings glory to His name.

 

God told Abraham he was blessed to be a blessing (Genesis 12:1-3).  God works hope and love in us for new lives.  Those new lives touch others and bring glory to God himself.  Have you considered that God works through you to bring His grace and love to others? 

 

Next month my dad will celebrate his 90th birthday.  Many of our family and friends will gather to celebrate his 90 years.  During his time on earth I know my dad to have been a loving son, a faithful husband, and Christian father.  When I visited in April I joined him as he ate breakfast with those he had worked with 30 + years ago.  They told me privately that he made a difference for good in his work place.  My pastor from our home town has witnessed to me more than once about the blessing my dad was and is in his local Christian congregation.

 

Yes, like all of us my dad has had struggles at times.  But, I remember his 90 years and counting for his faith, his love, and his faithfulness.  God worked in his life and that workmanship is a “poem” that blesses others.

 

What is the poem of your life?  How is God using the new life He created in you to bless others?

 

A Child of God, Blessed to think God’s “Workmanship” is found in me,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Last weekend I was in Seattle, WA, for a church meeting.  Among other activities, we visited the Community Garden at Light of Christ Lutheran Church in Federal Way, WA.  I was impressed.  Here are some pictures.  https://goo.gl/photos/TNJ59fkf8ePNbPp18

 

P.P.S.  I finally caught some salmon here in the Mat-Su this past week. Here are pictures of a day of fishing with Kym and Grace Miller, 8-14-2017.  https://goo.gl/photos/V3tLDYvXajs6F8k66

 

 

******

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you do not want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment