Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Building Churches on Jesus, THE Rock


Dear Members and Friends of St. John, 

 

Do you ever worry about your children, or grandchildren?  The world in which I was raised lived with the fear of nuclear war.  But, at least from my perspective as a child, it seemed that the values of our country were pretty firm.  Now, we live in a world where drugs are rampant and hurting our families, sexual harassment accusations are coming out in all sectors of our society, and citizens have valid concerns about the integrity of our government.  What kind of world will our children and grandchildren inherit?  I confess, I am more than a little concerned.

 

As I have written the last two weeks, I don’t claim to be able to change our world personally.  But, I do know the Lord of Lords and the King of Kings.  Changing the world is beyond my ability, it is God’s hands.  God does promise a new heaven and a new earth after this life.  For this world, however, even though I can’t personally change the world, I can have a positive influence for good on individuals and smaller groups of people.  Two weeks ago I wrote about “Building Lives on Jesus, our Foundation.”  Last week I wrote about “Building our Homes on Jesus, the Rock.”  This week I want you to consider with me, “Building Churches on Jesus, our Rock.”



Please do not think that Christian congregations and churches are perfect.  From the very beginning of Christian history, congregations had conflicts.  (See Acts 5, 6, 15 for examples of  conflict in the early church.)  Christian congregations still have issues today.  You see, churches are God’s plan for sinners who need a savior.  But, Christian are sinners who acknowledge that they need Jesus as their savior, and churches composed of sinful people are not perfect!!

 

God, does have a plan, however, for how churches are to be built so that they are the blessing which our Lord intends for His people.  Very simply, churches are to be built on the truth of God found in Scripture, with Jesus as the center of that truth.  Consider please Ephesians 2:19-22.  19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.”  So, God’s church is built on “the foundation of the apostles and prophets” - the Bible, and Jesus is the center of God’s revealed word.  It is by finding Jesus in that truth of God that Christians and Christian congregations grow.

 

I’ll add to that thought, what is also implied.  God doesn’t just intend for truthful teaching from Scripture.  He also calls for faithful living.  In Luke 11:28 Jesus tells His followers.  " . . . blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!"  (See also James 1:22) 

 

Maybe I can state those points about building Christian congregations in this way.  At the end of each year of Confirmation Classes, I ask students in my class to answer questions that lead to a life plan.  I want them to consider how they will live their faith when they have grown up and moved away from home.  For many, adult life will even mean living in another town or state.  I ask them what their worship habits will be, and I encourage them toward weekly worship.  But I also give them advice on finding a Christian congregation.  I tell my classes, “Look for a church that teaches what God’s Word says, and seeks to live according to God’s Word.”

 

The point is that churches built on God’s word, churches that focus on Jesus’ saving life, death, and resurrection, churches where people are changed by the love of God, these churches can and do impact the world around us.  These churches can be a safe haven in a world of corruption.  Such churches can be places where people who have fallen away and damaged their lives can return to the Lord and grow healthy again.  Faithful churches are places that influence God’s people so that each Christian can make a difference in the lives they touch around them.

 

In a world that seems to be rapidly declining, God’s people can build their Christian congregations so that they build people up in Jesus, even as the world around us is falling apart.  I pray that St. John is faithful in working to be such a Christian congregation, “built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.”

 

A Child of God, Seeking to Build God’s Church on Jesus,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  DCE INTERN – We have been assigned a DCE Intern by Concordia University Nebraska who will work with Youth and Children at St. John when Jamie leaves to be a full-time mom. 

Ethan Mirly is from Cape Girardeau County, MO.  He has worked at Concordia to receive a double major.  So in addition to his DCE Internship, he has a teaching certificate.  He is currently doing an internship at a Lutheran High School in Metro East St. Louis, teaching PE and Theology.  Ethan played baseball at school and likes the outdoors.  Ethan is looking forward to working with children and youth for our Lord at St. John. 

Pastor Rockey went to Seward, NE, November 17 to meet with Ethan and start Ethan’s relationship with St. John.  Ethan currently plans to arrive in Alaska on January 5 or 6.  Present plans are for his first day in the office to be Tuesday, January 9.  Here are some pictures of Ethan.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/FbRl5AugVUPf7NRA2

 

******

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you do not want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

******

No comments:

Post a Comment