Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Are YOU Bearing Fruit That Lasts?


Dear Members and Friends of St. John,

 

On Sunday, November 11, I worshiped with Kathy at First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.  I grew up and was nurtured in my faith in this congregation in my youth.  It is always a blessing to worship with folks I’ve known for over 50 years.  It is a blessing of joy to go “home” and see familiar faces who ask how I am doing.  (On this Veterans’ Day Sunday we were also treated with some beautiful patriotic music in worship.  And, an old seminary classmate of mine, Pastor Dennis Bartels, was guest preacher.)  Worship with God’s people was a blessing on this day.

 

After worship I took Kathy to eat at a favorite restaurant of hers.  Since Kathy grew up in Memphis, TN, she still has a place in her heart for “southern home cooking.”  We ate at Cracker Barrel.  It seems, even though our worship was finished around 11:15, we were not the only ones who had that idea.  When arriving around 11:45 a.m., many groups of people were waiting outside the restaurant talking with one another.  We were told there would be a 30 minute wait.  Yet, even with 3 or 4 groups of families or friends being called for a table every minute or two, with some groups as big as 11 people, our wait may have been 40 minutes.  A lot of people must like southern cooking!  When we were seated I watched as people were greeted and served, as tables were cleared, as families and friends enjoyed their time at the restaurant.  They were not rushed, but there was a constant stream of customers.

 

I asked our waitress how many cooks they had working that day.  She said, “Six cooks, I think.  Maybe one other cook, too.  And, there are managers all over the place, and probably in the kitchen as well.”  I was impressed.  To prepare and serve that many people and that much food in a comfortable atmosphere with just 6 or 7 cooks speaks well of the teamwork at this restaurant.

 

Then I got to thinking.  Since we were on vacation in FL in November for maybe the first or second time in almost 30 years, my sister, Martha, hosted a “Rockey Family Thanksgiving” at her house on Saturday, November 10, two weeks early.  Our meal included 8 households, over 20 people, and at least 8 cooks.  We had much for which to be thankful, and the abundant food helped us celebrate.  I think our meal may have gone even smoother, and the wait for food was less than it was on Sunday at the Cracker Barrel.  We had pretty good teamwork too.

 

I also began thinking how I might have been part of the teamwork for that meal, how I might helped.  Kathy made the food we brought to the Rockey Family Thanksgiving.  She made cornbread dressing, cranberry and orange relish – ground by hand, 2 pumpkin pies, 1 pecan pie, and pumpkin cupcakes and fixings for the younger children to decorate.  What did I do?  Hmmm.  I helped shop.  I helped pick out cornmeal.  I found the cranberries and paid for them.  I bought a bottle of white wine.  I didn’t really do that much, but I guess I did do something.

 

God’s plan is that His church works like a team.  In 1 Corinthians 12 (and Romans 12) God inspired St. Paul to instruct the church, 4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. 7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.”  (1 Corinthians 12:4-7)  In other words, God created each of us differently.  We have different abilities, talents, and gifts.  But God expects us to use these gifts as part of all God’s people, “for the common good.”  Later on in this chapter the family of God’s church is also described as a body.  “Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.”  (1 Corinthians 12:27)  Each believer in Jesus is part of Christ’s body, part of the Church.  And, God expects us to do the part we are gifted to do.

 

In fact, when Jesus was teaching His disciples on the night before His crucifixion, He instructed His disciples, 1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. . . 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-- fruit that will last.” (John 15:1-2,16)  God expects disciples of Jesus to bear fruit.  We are not just spectators in a worship service.  We are part of the body, part of the vine, growing disciples and spreading the good news of Jesus’ love so that there is eternal fruit.  We bear eternal fruit when people learn of Jesus, when people believe in Jesus, and when by God’s grace people are saved to go to heaven.  That is eternal fruit.

 

Ultimately Jesus, the true vine, is the source of all fruit.  Jesus is the Son of God who left heaven to endure the poverty and suffering of this world.  Jesus is the sinless Savior who nevertheless died for the sins of all people.  Jesus is the one and only who overcame sin and death and Satan when He rose from death and from the grave.  All eternal fruit comes from the true vine, from Jesus.  But we are branches.  We have received gifts.  We are part of the body.  And God expects us to bear fruit.

 

After eating at Cracker Barrel, but even more after being part of the “Rockey Family Thanksgiving” feast, I asked myself how I might have been part of the teamwork of the meal, and how I might helped.  The answer is that I probably could have done more.  I could have used my gifts to serve others in my family a little better (even though I did keep giving updates to everyone about the FL Gator football game.)

 

How about you?  Do you know how God has gifted you in Jesus with love, with forgiveness, with eternal life, and with His Spirit?  Do you know that God has blessed you with knowledge and faith, with gifts and abilities?  How are you part of the teamwork of Christ’s Church?  How are you helping spread the love of Jesus?

 

A Child of God, Thankful to be Part of Christ’s Church, Seeking to Bear Fruit that Lasts,

Pastor Jonathan   

 

P.S.  I didn’t take many pictures, but here are a couple of pictures from our Florida Rockey Thanksgiving on November 10.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/CXm4EkXSZNd4Hdp28

 

P.P.S.  I bought my plane tickets to FL in July when my dad was still alive, but failing some.  I would be in Portland for a November District Board of Directors’ meeting and thought that, since I was halfway to FL, I should go to see my dad.  I didn’t know my dad would pass away in August.  I ALSO didn’t know my brother, David, would have a heart attack when I was in Portland, and bypass surgery when I was in FL.  Being in FL allowed me to visit David in the hospital 3 times.  I see God’s hand in this trip in a way I didn’t know about ahead of time.  Thank you for your prayers, David had 4 bypasses, and a valve replacement.  He went home on Tuesday!

 

P.P.P.S.  GROWING IN FAITH SO WE CAN BEAR FRUIT - As pastor I am serious about helping our folks grow in their faith in God’s love for them in Jesus.  I strongly believe that personal devotions make a difference.  Here are some devotional resources you may want to use in your home.

 

·       Little Visits with God is the book we used most often.  Here are copies of that book, and OTHER home devotional materials for families.  (There are also some copies in the church library. -  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=little+visits+with+god&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Alittle+visits+with+god

 

·       Advent devotions – I recently bought 4 copies of these Advent devotions, 1 for each home where I have grandchildren, one for my own home, and one for the church.  You may want to purchase one of these Advent devotions for your family.  https://www.cph.org/c-2703-children-and-youth-books.aspx?pagenum=1&sortby=Rank%20Desc&rename=Sales%20%26%20Seasonal&Lk=0&rlk=0&plk=2700

 

·       PERSONAL DEVOTIONS FOR 2019-2020?  Will you to join me in studying God’s Word together? I plan to use the “Today’s Light Devotional Bible” from Concordia Publishing House in 2019 and 2020.  .  If you want to buy one of these Bibles and study with me starting in January here are links for the Bible.

o   From CPH (Our Church’s publishing house) for $26.39 + $7.00 shipping - https://www.cph.org/p-22950-todays-light-devotional-bible.aspx


 

******

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you do not want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment