Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Thankful for the Blessings of God's Love, Praying to BE a Blessing!


Dear Members and Friends of St. John,

 

The leaders of our nation have set aside a day for national Thanksgiving since the beginning of our country.  Yet, often when we think of our country we see the problems, the evil, the situations that need to change.  We can wonder why God allows such troubles to exist and even doubt His goodness. 

 

But, if you travel to a foreign land, which many in my family have done, we can then compare our homeland with other places.  In 1993 our son, Joshua, traveled to Far East Russia on a mission trip.  He came home thankful for his own bedroom, and thankful for a hot shower.  As we see the problems others face, we learn thankfulness for our own land, even with all it’s problems.

 

If you ask people to list blessings for which they are thankful, if you ask me, usually at the top of the list is family.  This past year I have been amazed at how my adult children have reached out and supported one another.  This past year I have watched my siblings and extended family work together at the death of my father, and watched as we grew in thanks for the life, faith, and heritage of my dad.  But, still, sometimes we take the blessings of our family for granted.

 

I read many devotions throughout the week, in addition to my daily reading of Scripture.  One of the devotions I read in the past week makes me realize even more the blessings God has given me in my family, the blessings God has given me in my friends, in His Church.  The devotion below comes from Rev. Dr. Jerry Kieschnick, former president of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.  Maybe these words can help you in your thankfulness to God.

 

Usually at this time of year our thoughts are focused on people or things for whom or which we are thankful. Today I’m sharing with you what a foster child in Oklahoma listed when asked what she wanted in a family. Here are her answers:

Things I want in my family:

·       A clean safe house with running water and lights.

·       Mom and Dad who don’t fight or hit on me.

·       I want no drugs.

·       Don’t kill my pets.

·       Nice clean clothes and a coat.

·       No lice or bugs in the house.

·       A bed with covers.

·       Don’t sell my toys.

·       Treat me fair.

·       Don’t get drunk.

·       My own comb and soap and toothbrush.

·       I want love.

This little girl’s list touches my heart with the reminder that not everyone in our country and world experiences the blessings of God in the same measure with which my family, and most likely yours as well, have been blessed.

The mental picture of this little girl also moves me to reach out in love, care, and concern to folks who can only dream of having the necessities of life, not to mention the luxuries many of us often take for granted.

As you prepare to observe Thanksgiving Day, remember what I strive to recall every day: We have been abundantly blessed by our gracious God … for a reason … to be a blessing! That’s why when someone asks me how I’m doing, my reply is almost always: “Super blessed!”

 

Thank you, Jerry.  I am not sure of the source of this girl’s list.  However, our church tries to help people in need.  I have seen homes where all of these trials exist.  It’s sort of like visiting a foreign country.  When we see the problems in other places, we can be even more thankful

 

In the face of the selfishness, the violence, the downright evil we can see in the world around us, we can be thankful that God’s children have love that is not taken away in Jesus.

“38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  (Romans 8:38-39)

 

I agree with Jerry.  Because we have been blessed, we have the opportunity, and we have the responsibility, to share with others the love God gives us in Jesus.  May your home be full of the love of Jesus, not just on Thanksgiving Day, but throughout the year.  May your “cup overflow” with the love of Jesus and touch others who may be going through a rough time, or may not be as fortunate as you are.  We ARE blessed to be blessings!

 

A Child of God, THANKFUL for the Blessings of God’s Love, Praying to be a Blessing,

Pastor Jonathan   

 

P.S.  THE FIRST THANKSGIVING PROCLAMATION

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly implore His protection, aid and favors. . .Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these states to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the Beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country, and for all the great and various favors which H has been pleased to confer upon us." - George Washington, 1789

 

P.P.S.  Here is a picture of how St. John members reached out to help others.  Just looking at this picture, I think I count more than 1000 cans of food.  Thank YOU for your thankfulness, and for helping others!  https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Rx7HKrhKGTDiMV98

 

P.P.P.S.  THANK YOU to St. John members who recognized our workers and our staff this past Sunday, November 18.  Words of thanks were spoken, and gifts were given for

·       Administrative Assistant, Judy Stahancy

·       Assistant to the Pastor, Hunter Richards

·       Custodians, John and Cathy Glaser

·       Director of Christian Education Intern, Ethan Mirly

·       Music Coordinator, Marilee Nufer

·       Pianist, Organist, co-Music Coordinator, Sara Guhl

·       Nursery Attendant, Kristine Neslund

·       Senior Pastor, Jonathan Rockey, and

·       WIFE of Senior Pastor, Kathy Rockey.

The gifts are appreciated.  Even more, the words of thanks are priceless.  Here are some pictures put into a collage: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AneEQr7ceKuiLigR8

 

P.P.P.P.S.  GROWING IN FAITH SO WE CAN BEAR FRUIT - As pastor I am serious about helping our folks grow in their faith in God’s love for them in Jesus.  I strongly believe that personal devotions make a difference.  Here are some devotional resources you may want to use in your home.

 

·       Little Visits with God is the book we used most often.  Here are copies of that book, and OTHER home devotional materials for families.  (There are also some copies in the church library. -  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=little+visits+with+god&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Alittle+visits+with+god

 

·       Advent devotions – I recently bought 4 copies of these Advent devotions, 1 for each home where I have grandchildren, one for my own home, and one for the church.  You may want to purchase one of these Advent devotions for your family.  https://www.cph.org/c-2703-children-and-youth-books.aspx?pagenum=1&sortby=Rank%20Desc&rename=Sales%20%26%20Seasonal&Lk=0&rlk=0&plk=2700

 

·       PERSONAL DEVOTIONS FOR 2019-2020?  Will you to join me in studying God’s Word together? I plan to use the “Today’s Light Devotional Bible” from Concordia Publishing House in 2019 and 2020.  .  If you want to buy one of these Bibles and study with me starting in January here are links for the Bible.

o   From CPH (Our Church’s publishing house) for $26.39 + $7.00 shipping - https://www.cph.org/p-22950-todays-light-devotional-bible.aspx


 

******

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you do not want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

******

No comments:

Post a Comment