Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Seeking to Keep My Eyes on Jesus, and to Point Others to Him as Well


Dear Friends and Fellow Children of God,

 

Do you have favorite reading material?  I like to read many different kinds of literature.  But, at the current time I am reading the “Mitford” books by Jan Karon.  These books tell of the adventures and misadventures of an Episcopalian priest from the fictional town of Mitford, in the mountains of North Carolina. 

 

Perhaps there are a number of reasons that I identify with Father Tim Kavanaugh, the priest in these stories.  Father Tim serves God’s people in a small town, in a lively church, where people trust the Word of God and seek to love one another.  Maybe it’s that this priest is somewhat clumsy socially, at times. I understand.  Perhaps I enjoy reading these stories because Father Tim, like me, has some issues with blood sugar.  I also understand his struggle with the decisions surrounding retirement. And while the people whom Father Tim serves in these books seem like unique individuals, nevertheless, I sort of recognize many of his parishoners, if you know what I mean.  Yet, even in these fictional novels, Father Tim shows some real life Christian wisdom.  So, at the beginning of my retirement I’m reading these novels again.

 

One gem of wisdom from Father Tim comes as he seeks to help a man named Pete Jamison.  Like any Christian congregation, many struggle with their faith.  In the book, “At Home in Mitford” Father Tim helps Pete in his journey back to God and back to our Lord’s saving love in Jesus.  Father Tim recommends that Pete, “Pray.  Read your Bible.  Be baptized.  Go to church.”  One day Pete calls Father Tim for advice and complains, “Well, I’m going to church.  But I’ve got to tell you that it’s full of hypocrites.” Father Tim responds to Pete with one of those nuggets of Christian wisdom.  “If there was ever a popular refrain in modern Christendom, that might be it. My friend, if you keep your eye on Christians, you will be disappointed every day of your life.  Your hope is to keep your eyes on Christ. . . I will disappoint you, Pete, they will disappoint you, but HE will never disappoint you.” (Page 327)

 

The sad truth is that all Christians at one time or another, every one of us, stumble and live in a way that does not bring honor to our Lord.  Jesus teaches His disciples in The Sermon on the Mount, “In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)  But, often our lives do not give a good witness to our righteous, merciful, and loving Lord. Perhaps our selfishness shines through, instead of love.  Maybe our pride gets in the way of us trusting God, and trusting His grace in our lives.  Or, our careless words may hurt another.  Unfortunately, we may also give in to the desires of the flesh.  God gives real direction to His people concerning healthy and righteous living.  But, time and again, even when we want to follow and serve our Lord, we go our own way.  Therefore, I understand the confession and the struggle of St. Paul who wrote in Romans 7:19, “For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do-- this I keep on doing.”  Does St. Paul’s struggle sound familiar to you, as well?

 

That is why the writer to the Hebrews encourages us, 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”  (Hebrews 12:2-3)  We may be sinful and selfish.  But Jesus lived a righteous life, sacrificing Himself for us.  Actually, in Hebrews 11 the author reminds Christians of the faithful example of believers in former times.  But ultimately, in Hebrews 12, God urges Christians to watch Jesus.

 

There are a number of lessons I learn from Scripture which are illustrated by this bit of wisdom in the Mitford books.  First of all, others are watching and observing how we Christians live out our faith.  They notice when we act in love or in humility.  However, people also notice when we fail to live as God has called us to live.

 

Secondly, therefore, that is why it is good for God’s children to be quick to admit and to confess our own failings.  That is also why we need to admit that our real hope is not in our efforts or righteousness.  Our hope is in the righteousness and the forgiving sacrifice of Jesus. 

 

Pete Jamison may be a fictional character.  But, when Pete complains that Christians seem to be hypocrites, he reflects the struggle many have with the inconsistencies and the sins of those of us who believe in Jesus and follow Him.  So, we confess our failures, and we fix our eyes on Jesus.  In fact, we also point others to Jesus.  HE is our only hope.

 

I join Father Tim in his confession.  I am a Christian who believes that God is my Creator and my Lord.  But I am also a sinner who unfortunately fails my Lord time and again.  I need a Savior.  Thankfully, God sent His Son, Jesus.  The righteous life and loving sacrifice of Jesus change my life.  The love and sacrifice of Jesus are the only thing that changes the lives of others for good, eternally.

 

“2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”

 

A Child of God, Seeking to Keep My Eyes on Jesus, and to Point Others to Jesus as Well,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Kathy and I are on a trip to Christmas markets in Germany and Austria with our daughter, Mary, and the Nufers and the Summers.  Here is a picture from the Anchorage airport.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/kmicW598gMnR8ggu8

 

P.P.S.  Therefore, we celebrated Thanksgiving Day as a family last Saturday, November 23.  Here are a few pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/fajcHzLM8n19y8LJA

 

P.P.S.  We had a visitor to our home on Monday, November 25 around noon.  Here are some more pictures of our visitor.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/YxBufEdT7MfrFhuc7

 

P.P.P.S.  While you can buy all of the “Mitford” books to read for yourself, most of them are in the St. John library. https://www.amazon.com/At-Home-Mitford-Novel/dp/0735217394/ref=sr_1_1?crid=10IUT767VER84&keywords=at+home+in+mitford&qid=1574795223&s=books&sprefix=At+Home+in+Mitford%2Caps%2C209&sr=1-1

 

 

******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION – I am now retired as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran in Palmer, AK.  This devotion was previously titled, “Thoughts from the Pastor.”  However, with life’s changes I will now call it, “Journeys Through Life as a Child of God.”  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

 

******

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment