Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Thankful for Time Outdoors When God Restores My Soul


Dear Friends and Fellow Children of God,


Kathy and I were a little surprised this past week by a somewhat quiet communication in our Florida place of residence.  We have a small place in the Meadowbrook community of Gainesville, FL, where my dad used to live.  We are spending time in Florida as we ‘get away’ for the first few months of our retirement.  Regular e-mail messages are sent to us from the Meadowbrook community, including a newsletter.  However, after receiving the newsletter one day last week, the next day we got another message saying that the community newsletter would no longer be sent.  It seems a political story in this newsletter on one side of the political spectrum upset a number of people who think and believe differently concerning national politics.  So e-mail distribution of the Meadowbrook newsletter is now suspended.  We certainly live in times of high emotion over political issues!


On Wednesday morning, I turned on the television and saw a special news report concerning the impeachment hearings in Washington, D.C.  It appears to me that all one has to do these day in order to raise high emotions is to begin a discussion either in favor of, or against our current president.  But, opinions were also similarly divided over our previous president.  We do certainly live in times of divided values and turmoil as a nation.


Meanwhile, in past weeks my personal devotions have consisted of readings in the Psalms.  As I write this devotion, I just finished reading Psalm 66.  While spending time in God’s Word, I have been struck by godly wisdom found in the Psalms, wisdom which includes direction for all nations, and certainly direction for our nation.  Please read and consider what these verses from the Psalms say to you. 


The truth found in Psalm 12:8 seem to me a diagnosis of our culture today.  The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men.”  Does it seem to you that our culture has embraced values that are contrary to what we find from our Lord in Scripture?  I am saddened and frustrated when I see someone praised for doing what I hear God tell us is wrong or sinful.


Please read Psalm 33:12 with me.  Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance.”  Now, consider the blessings of God for nations who follow the Lord (I would encourage you to also read the rest of the Psalm, verses 13-22 for more wisdom for a life of blessings from God.)  There are indeed blessings for nations who believe in and follow the true God of the universe.


Psalm 65 brought me comfort as I read its wisdom.  Consider especially the end of verse 7.  “4 Blessed are those you choose and bring near to live in your courts! We are filled with the good things of your house, of your holy temple. 5 You answer us with awesome deeds of righteousness, O God our Savior, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas, 6 who formed the mountains by your power, having armed yourself with strength, 7 who stilled the roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves, and the turmoil of the nations.”  I am comforted that God who ‘formed the mountains by His power’ also stills the turmoil of the nations.


As I thought about the turmoil in our country, and as I thought about the wicked freely strutting about, I was reminded of what I also recently read in Psalm 23.  1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  I thought, “Perhaps that is why I enjoy fishing so much.  In the midst of such division and emotional turmoil on a national level, God is still the Shepherd of His people.  So, the quiet waters provided by our Creator do restore my soul.  While I am fishing, I can think in quiet, away from the turmoil of our world.  Among those topics I think about are my life as a child of God.  In fact, when I have been fishing alone, I have been doing a lot of praying these days.  I have prayed for my children, for my grandchildren, for my home congregation, and for those who are ill or injured.  I pray for God’s direction in my life, and  . . . I have also been praying for my country.  You see, while I am beside the still waters. it is God who assures me that He hears and answers prayers.  Still waters provide me an opportunity for God to restore my soul in these times of turmoil that can cause me worry.  In fact, I don’t even have to catch any fish; simply soaking in God’s creation blesses me and helps me to continue and persevere.


Let me say, personally, that my reading of Scripture is that God calls governments and nations to work for justice and for righteousness.  While nations use the sword to enforce civil law, the Gospel is best shared through churches with individuals and with groups.  But, I also believe that what is best for America, and that what is best for all countries, is to follow the direction and laws of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Therefore, I will continue to pray for America to know what Psalm 33 says, that God is our Lord and King.


In the meantime, I know that there is even greater peace for those who follow Jesus and believe in our Savior.  In Philippins 4:6-7, God inspired Paul to write, “6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Because I know that God is the Lord of all, and because I know that God forgives my sin, and offers eternal life in heaven through the life and the death and the resurrection of Jesus, I can therefore face the turmoil of this world, knowing that God has my eternity in His hands.  That assurance gives peace.  This peace found in Jesus really restores my soul, even more than fishing (believe it or not).  But, you will still see me on the shore, by still waters, or in a boat, taking time in the beauty of creation and speaking to my Creator, my Savior, and my Lord.  It restores my soul.


A Child of God, Thankful for Times Outdoors when God Restores My Soul,

Pastor Jonathan


P.S.  Here are some recent pictures of still waters where God restores my soul.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/2p4L557uBWS85Kkr5


P.P.S.  When I attended my 40th reunion at Concordia Seminary I was interviewed, along with a couple of other pastors, by seminary president, Dr. Meyer.  Here is a copy of a video of that interview.  https://concordiatheology.org/2019/11/word-and-work-life-after-seminary/


P.P.P.S.  Kathy and I did some visiting around Florida recently

·       Marjorie Kinnon Rawlings was a FL resident who lived near Gainesville in the early 20th century.  She wrote “The Yearling,” and “Cross Creek” among other books.  We visited the state historic site of her home on Thursday, November 7.  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/HgMpvETcRdXQ3nEv5


·       Kathy and I visited Crescent Beach on a windy day last Friday, November 8.  We then headed to Jacksonville to see some old friends, some of whom will be traveling to AK, next summer.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/p92uG29XfKEP1pHf6


·       I put a flag on my dad’s grave on Veteran’s Day.  He served in the US Navy, November 1945 to November 1947, and received a WWII participation medal for his time on the USS Rochester.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/7k4SyXsqHbz2H1qc6


·       I did go Fishing last week.

o   On Watermelon Pond, 11-6-2019 (no pictures)

o   On Waters Lake. 11-12-2019 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/5YFQLPAHr1XLB1fB6

o   On the Wacassassa River, 11-12-2019 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/592KjtwfrZz9LfuY8






******


ABOUT THIS DEVOTION – I am now retired as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran in Palmer, AK.  This devotion was previously titled, “Thoughts from the Pastor.”  However, with life’s changes I will now call it, “Journeys Through Life as a Child of God.”  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  You can also view this message on my Facebook page.


******


Psalm 33:12-22

 12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance.” 

 13 From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind;

 14 from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth--

 15 he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do.

 16 No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his great strength.

 17 A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save.

 18 But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,

 19 to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine.

 20 We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield.

 21 In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.

 22 May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment