Wednesday, January 8, 2020

In a New Year . . . God is WITH Us!


Dear Friends and Fellow Children of God,



A new calendar year has again forced its way into our lives. There are always celebrations during that short period of time when one year ends, and another begins.  But 2020 has now been with us for over a week.  So, after the first rush of excitement of the calendar changing, what else is new?  Or, is the calendar just a piece of paper which hangs on the wall while we experience the passing of time – another year?  I was telling my wife, Kathy, just the other day about the passing of time for our family in Alaska.  We arrived in Alaska in May of 1991, over 28 and ½ years ago.  But, we have actually lived here for parts of 30 calendar years!  Time has rushed by us quickly.  We are getting older.



However, my wife already reminds me from time to time about my age.  I looked up a text conversation we had on November 6 of last year.  I was golfing in a seniors men’s league.  For the first time I was asked  to hit my golf balls from the senior tees, the shorter tees.  Even though I’ll be 67 my next birthday, I had not yet played from that tee box.  Maybe I’m in denial   During my golf game that day Kathy texted me and asked how the game was going.  My response was, “OK, but in this group I’m hitting from the senior tees.”  Her response was quick.  J You are a senior!”  I’m not sure I wanted, or needed, to hear that!  But, I can tell you that I don’t hit my golf ball anywhere near as far, or as long, as I used to hit it.  Sometimes it takes me two shots to get to where I could hit the ball when I was younger.  I do hit my shots a little straighter, though.



I hear people say, “Getting old is tough.”  Yes, there are a few more aches and pains.  I move a little more slowly.  Maybe I don’t have the same energy that I once did.  But, I do believe I have a little more wisdom from years of life experience.  I confess that my faith in God’s love and provision has also grown.  I have seen Him act in my life so many times over the years to love me and to help me.  Life may be challenging, but I have confidence and hope that the Lord is with me, even as years advance. 



At the end of His ministry on earth, Jesus gave His disciples an overwhelmingly daunting task.  18 . . . "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”  (Matthew 28:18-20 a) Imagine, eleven men being sent to bring the good news of Jesus’ saving love, and to help grow faith in Jesus, to all the corners of the world.  But . . . BUT, Jesus also made a promise to his beloved followers. “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:20 b)  As they faced the dangers, the challenges, and even the death that lay in front of them, Jesus was with His disciples in His power and His love.  The one who has ALL authority in heaven and on earth was with His friends as they went, as they baptized, and as they taught.  So, the apostles did not remain in the safety of Jerusalem.  These men did go into all the world.  After all, Jesus had promised He was with them, always!



As we face the challenges of life, whether that be the trials that will come in a new year, or the challenges of advancing age, Jesus’ promise is also that He is with us.  In fact, there is another way in which God is with us.  Do you remember the Christmas story from just a few weeks ago?  When Matthew relates how Jesus was born, Joseph is told in a dream to take Mary to be His wife as she gives birth to the Savior of the world, as she gives birth to the child, Jesus. (Matthew 1:18-21)  Joseph is assured by the angel that Jesus’ birth and all of this is God’s doing.  22All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: 23 "Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel" (which means, God with us.).” (Matthew 1:22-23)



What a blessing to know that God is by our side through all the trials and challenges, the joys and blessings of life!  He is with us, in Jesus, to love us, to forgive us, to strengthen and to guide us.  God is with us as we grow older, as we face loss, failure, and disappointments.  He is with us even as we ourselves look into the jaws of death.  The One who created us, the One who gave His life to save us, is WITH US! 



Perhaps the excitement of New Year’s Eve has passed, and the difficulties facing us in this coming year are more obvious.  My wife is right.  I AM a senior.  I am older.  Whatever we face, Jesus promises, . . . surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."



A Child of God, THANKFUL for God’s Loving, Forgiving, Helping and Saving Presence,

Pastor Jonathan



P.S.  Here are some pictures from a ski trip to Alyeska on Thursday, January 2.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/3qzLxo3ET59AZCFq6





P.P.S.  Here are a couple of pictures from my first fishing trip on Kelly Lake on the Kenai Peninsula on Friday, January 3.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/y8S5Vp4hkggqTT7b6





******



ABOUT THIS DEVOTION – I am now retired as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran in Palmer, AK.  This devotion was previously titled, “Thoughts from the Pastor.”  However, with life’s changes I will now call it, “Journeys Through Life as a Child of God.”  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  You can also view this message on my Facebook page.



******



A couple of other Bible verses to consider . . .

10 The years of our life are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away.  (Psalm 90:10-11)



7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. 11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," 12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,  (Psalm 139:7-15)




No comments:

Post a Comment