Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Seeking to Give Thanks to our Lord in ALL Circumstances


Dear Fellow Children of God,



On Tuesday morning I read Rev. Dr. Dale Meyer’s daily devotion, The Meyer Minute, and he echoed my thoughts as I was preparing to write this week: “I don’t want to talk about Coronavirus anymore.”  Of course, my wife tells me that, “Denial is a great coping mechanism,” at least until reality hits.  However, times like these can sometimes help us focus on a reality we often forget.  It is easy, in tough times, to forget the truth of the daily goodness and grace of God in our lives.



The verse which keeps speaking in my head this past week or so is from 1 Thessalonians 5:18  “Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.”  Often we hear this verse used during the observance of the national Thanksgiving holiday in order to remind us of our duty to thank God.  But, Thanksgiving Day is usually a joyful day of family time, when we celebrate.  Giving thanks in such a setting is natural and easy.  However, God inspired Paul to encourage us to “Give thanks in all circumstances . . .”  So, even in times of trial, or suffering, or loss, there is still reason, there is good reason, for thanking our Creator, for thanking our Lord and our Savior.  Here is part of my list of reasons for giving thanks.

·       I am thankful my family and friends are safe and well.

·       I am thankful that, even though Kathy and I got stuck in FL a little longer than expected, I have family here, family with whom I enjoy spending time.

·       I am thankful for faithful doctors, nurses, and medical professionals who are willing to care for those in need, even if they put themselves in danger as they give this care.  Actually, this is the case for our medical personnel even without the present infection.  This also causes me to be thankful for our service men and women, and our for first responders who place themselves in danger in order to serve the cause of peace and freedom, and who place themselves in harm’s way in order to serve us.

·       I am thankful for church workers and churches who have learned new lessons about technology to continue bringing the Word of God to their congregations.  I am truly thankful that our churches have continued serving God’s people, even though this requires “thinking outside the box!”

·       I am thankful because of a story I heard from a friend.  My friend, Jim, told me that, since many businesses and places of entertainment are closed, he and his grown children and grandchildren have been sitting in his driveway at night, visiting in a way they don’t get to visit when lives are so busy.

·       I personally feel a little guilty, but I am also thankful that , even when other activities have shut down through government mandate, outdoor activities such as fishing and golfing are still allowed, with proper social distancing of course.  So, I have enjoyed the privilege of being outdoors in God’s creation, fishing and golfing.  J



But, all of these above reasons for thanks are somewhat positive.  The reality is that life in this sinful world is hard.  People do suffer and die. And, some have become ill and have died from this current disease.  Is there reason to thank our Lord even in such painful times?

·       I am thankful that in times of trial, God has taught me again that He is “an ever-present help in times of trouble.” (Psalm 46:1)

·       I am thankful that, with the loss of many of the previous activities of life, God has given us a time to pause, to rest, and to reflect.  Instead of running around, Kathy and I are often watching birds and other critters at the bird feeder.

·       I am thankful that when, I have suffered injury, God teaches me to be thankful for the health I do have, rather than complain about what I have lost.  At least, if I listen, God teaches.  

·       I am thankful to know that, when death claims a life, the grave may be the end of this life, but through Jesus, death has become the door to eternity with God for all who trust in Jesus’ saving life, and who trust in His death and resurrection.



The idea of thankfulness is not new.  Psalm 118:1 calls us, “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.”  The truth is that thankful hearts are joyful hearts, even in hard times.  And, as New Testament believers, we not only have the promise that God’s “love endures forever,” we know how He has won that eternal love for us in Jesus.



As your life has changed during our current unique challenges, can you echo my list of reasons to thank God?  Can you add your own personal reasons to thank the Lord for His gracious goodness in your life?



A Child of God, Seeking to Give Thanks to our Lord in ALL Circumstances,

Pastor Jonathan



P.S.  As I mentioned, Kathy and I have enjoyed watching the birds outside our window.  Here are some pictures of some of the local wildlife.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/JczexqnJdTJET37BA



P.P.S.  As also mentioned above, I continue to golf and fish.  While my golfing has improved, so has my fishing.  Here are pictures from a number of fishing trips this past week.

·       Fishing on a nearby lake, Tuesday evening, April 14, after a storm.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/GStU1L6Z2edQtp7t5

·       Fishing Thursday evening, April 16, with nephew, Jonathan Pruim, in the Suwannee River.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/a7HXEU9WPYzxr6uXA

·       Fishing Saturday evening in the same place on the Suwannee by myself.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/FJJceTchQjSKVB1e7

·       Fishing Sunday morning (!), April 19, with my Lutheran pastor brother, James, and my Lutheran teacher brother, Stephen, on the Withlacoochee River.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/8J6S9gbWHTBLKi5x6

·       Fishing Tuesday, April 21, with my brother-in-law, Mark, at new favorite Lake east of Gainesville.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/uwzK3weqRmSMGR457




*****


ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I am now retired as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran in Palmer, AK.  This devotion was previously titled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  However, with life's changes I will now call it "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  I am only sending this message to those who have asked o receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message, have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

            A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WHY THEY ARE NO LONGER RECEIVING MY DEVOTIONS.  Since I’m only sending these e-mails to people who ask for them, many are no longer receiving them.  BUT, if you read this on Facebook and would like to receive them, or if you know someone who would like to receive these devotions, send me an e-mail at jonrock53@mtaonline.net, and I will add you to my distribution list.


No comments:

Post a Comment