Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Surprised Again By The Beauty of God’s Love in our Dark World

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

When I attended college over 40 years ago I chose many literature courses for my elective classes.  My belief was that good literature gave a window into the human mind and heart.  So, in addition to courses on Scripture and theology, I studied, Shakespeare, American Literature, Greek Literature, Poetry, and other courses which helped me look into the human condition.

 

One poem I remember reading, and with which I was quite a bit overwhelmed, was “The Waste Land,” by T.S. Elliot.  My professor, Dr. Erhard Essig, taught us that this poem showed how modern society has become a wasteland, a place where life shrivels and dies.  That view of our world is pretty depressing, but the sin and the corruption we live with leads me to often agree with Elliot’s assessment.

 

You know that some who live in the lower 48 see Alaska as a “wasteland.”  When the United States purchased Alaska from Russia in 1867 it was called “Seward’s Folly,” and Seward’s Ice Box.”  And there are many who still see our far north state as a wilderness of ice and snow, and as a place they would not want to go.  I have had two pastors tell me they would not consider a call to serve a congregation in Alaska because their wives would not go.

 

Yet, in this supposed wilderness, the beauty of God’s creative hand shines forth.  Sometimes we gaze in awe at the majesty of the mountains.  Sometimes the alpenglow takes our breath.  And sometimes the beauty of God’s hand surprises us.   

 

This summer Kathy and I were delighted and surprised at the splendor of God by a beautiful “volunteer” in our garden.  Over the years many plants have sprung up in the garden, even though we didn’t plant them.  For example, I have picked much spinach which I did not plant, but grew from the seed of previous year’s crop.  Right now I have a strawberry growing in my lettuce.  And raspberries often spread and grow, even where they are not wanted.  But, in my lettuce row I had an unexpected plant grow tall this year.  At first I thought it might be a sunflower.  But then an attractive pink flower bloomed halfway up the stalk.  Next, more blooms showed themselves.  I didn’t know what this plant was.  Eva Cohnen Brown told me it was a Hollyhock.  Kathy and I have really enjoyed this beautiful, unexpected flower growing in what some call “Seward’s Icebox.”

 

Scripture teaches us about growth and beauty in unexpected places.  Isaiah prophesies, 1 The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom. Like the crocus, 2 it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy. The glory of Lebanon will be given to it, the splendor of Carmel and Sharon; they will see the glory of the LORD, the splendor of our God. 3 Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; 4 say to those with fearful hearts, "Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you." 5 Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped. 6 Then will the lame leap like a deer, and the mute tongue shout for joy. Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert. . .”  (Isaiah 35:1-6)

 

What causes this beauty in the wilderness of life which Isaiah proclaims?  God says in Isaiah 35:2 “they will see the glory of the LORD, the splendor of our God.”  God’s presence changes the trials of life.  He loves us when we feel unlovable, for good reason.  He forgives our sins, "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.” (Isaiah 1:18)   The Lord gives life in a world of death.  God gives these surprising gifts through His Son Jesus, who says, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26 and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.” (John 11:25-26)

 

Alaska is not a wasteland.  The beauty of God shines forth in our state.  Our hollyhock surprised Kathy and me with the creative beauty of our Lord in our world. But, even in this place of God’s splendor, life can be dark and depressing.  Therefore God has sent His son, Jesus.  In Him we “see the glory of the LORD, the splendor of our God.”  May our Lord’s unexpected love, His undeserved forgiveness, and God’s gift of life in a world of death, which we receive in Jesus, bring surprising joy, and peace, and hope into your life.

 

A Child of God, Surprised Again By The Beauty of God’s Love in our Dark World,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here are some pictures of the hollyhock in our garden.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/8xVXahRJESFNWchq8

 

P.P.S.  Monday night, August 17, our whole family got together for supper, to eat a silver salmon which granddaughter, Emma, had caught.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/z2NXnGhm5RPRZJ4u6

 

P.P.P.S.  This was quite a week for fishing.  Since my last article I fished for red salmon on the Kenai and Silver Salmon on the Little Susitna.

·       Fishing on the Kenai, Friday, August 14.  I caught 2 reds.  This is one of them.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/eLKxNSao5e9kRyXy8

 

·       Fishing on the Kenai, Saturday, August 15.  I caught 4 reds.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/8sYrxjTSkJvpu1h18

 

·       Fishing with grandchildren on the Little Susitna, Monday, August 17.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/ginLUNZV81PH5RZS7

 

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I am now retired from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  My weekly devotion was previously titled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  However, with life's changes I now call the devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message, have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  I will include them on my distribution list. You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

            HOWEVER, A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WHY THEY ARE NO LONGER RECEIVING MY DEVOTIONS.  Since I’m only sending these e-mails to people who ask for them, many are no longer receiving these messages.  BUT, if you read this on Facebook and like to receive these devotions by e-mail, or if you know someone who would like to receive these devotions, send me an e-mail at jonrock53@mtaonline.net, and I will add you to my distribution list.

 

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment