Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Thankful for Hymns of Faith that Touch My Heart, Soul, and Mind, and Those of God's People

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

One of the tasks of ministry I really enjoy is visiting the people of God.  When, as pastor, I have visited people in their homes, or in the hospital, in a nursing home or an assisted living facility, I pray that they are blessed as I bring them God’s word and prayer, and perhaps communion.  I know that sharing God’s grace with others is a blessing to me and to my faith.  The people of God always have something special to offer.

 

On Friday, October 15, I visited a number of St. John members, including Marilyn Grasser in the Palmer Pioneer and Veterans Home.  St. John has two folks who are residents at the Pioneer Home at this time.  The St. John pastors try to visit our home bound people monthly, but unfortunately, because of COVID restrictions, we have not always been able to visit in the last year or so.

When I arrived in Marilyn’s room last Friday, she was in bed asleep, looking like she was failing.  I had seen Marilyn in August, but she looked like she had lost more weight.  I touched Marilyn on her shoulder and she looked at me and smiled, knowing who I was.  I asked her, “Would you like me to give you communion?”  Marilyn has had some hearing issues and she responded, “You know that I love music.”  That was not the response I was expecting, but I responded to her request and I sang. 

 

First, I sang 2 verses of “Amazing Grace” to Maryilyn. 

Amazing grace how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me.

I once was lost, but now am found, Was blind but now I see.

 

When we’ve been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun,

We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise, than when we’ve first begun.

 

Marilyn smiled and thanked me so I sang a verse of “The Old Rugged Cross” to her.

            On a hill far away, stood an old rugged cross, The emblem of suff'ring and shame;

            And I love that old cross Where the dearest and best, For a world of lost sinners was

slain.

            So I'll cherish the old rugged cross, Till my trophies at last I lay down;

            I will cling to the old rugged cross, And exchange it someday for a crown.

 

I saw Marilyn’s response and felt that God was reaching something inside her, so I sang the next song, “How Great Thou Art.”

O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder, Consider all the works Thy hand hath made,

I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder, Thy pow’r throughout the universe displayed; 

Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee, How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee, How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

 

Marylyn was enjoying the singing, so I sang one more song with her current health in mind, “Abide with Me.” 

Abide with me, fast falls the eventide. The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee, Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

 

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes; Shine through the gloom, and point me to

the skies.

Heav’n’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee; In life, in death, O Lord, abide

with me.

 

On Monday, October 18, I received a phone call from Peggy Mulligan, who is the daughter of Marilyn.    Peggy lives outside, and the Pioneer home had called Peggy to tell her that her mom was not doing well.  She asked if I could visit.  I was pleased to be able to share with Peggy about my visit with her mom on Friday.  I plan to get by again and visit some more.

 

There is something heart-moving about the great hymns of God’s church.  The words of these hymns speak the truth of God’s Scripture to our lives.  The tunes touch not only our heads, but also our heart and soul.  No wonder there is an apocryphal saying from Martin Luther, “He who sings, prays twice.”

 

When a child of God hears the great and familiar hymns of faith, and when their faith is strengthened, and that faith gives them comfort as they face eternity, such faith and comfort is a blessing for these children of God.  Such faith and comfort is also a blessing to those around them.

 

A Child of God, Thankful for Hymns of Faith that Touch My Heart, Soul, and Mind, And Those of God’s People!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.      Choose to Be Different” Banquet – Sunday, October 24 at 5:00 p.m. – A celebration Banquet will be held as part of our “Choose to Be Different” campaign.  The meal will be held at the Palmer Senior Center and catered by St. John member, Rebecca Kopperud. 

ALL St. John members and Friends are invited and encouraged to attend this celebration.

PLEASE CALL THE CHURCH OFFICE AT 907-745-3338 TO MAKE A RESERVATION FOR THE BANQUET IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO!!

 

P.P.S. Kathy and I hosted friends, Rev. Rick and Kristi Armstrong for the last couple of weeks.  Pastor Armstrong presented at the Fall LCMS Pastors’ Conference, October 4-6.  On Wednesday, Pastor Tony Schultz, Pastor Armstrong, and I golfed at Palmer Golf Course, in the cool weather.  Here are some pictures of our journeys and travels.

·       Here are two golf pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/RR3t5ACNuXqj5KTeA

 

·       Here is an album of our visit from the Armstrongs.  Some of these pictures you may have seen before.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/aHrrdyo6JF2Z7sDk6

 

·       Here are some more Alaskan Fall Pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/JW1hVWVKkdWow1xy5

 

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment