Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Thankful for God's Gift of Friends, for my Best Friend, Jesus!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

On Friday, October 1, long time friends, Rick and Kristi Armstrong, flew to Alaska and are staying and visiting with Kathy and with me.  In August 1971 Rick and Kristi started school with me at Concordia Lutheran College in Austin, Texas. Pastor Tony Schultz from Anchorage Lutheran Church was also part of that class.  So we have now known each other for over 50 years!  Rick and Tony and I graduated from Concordia Seminary in May 1979.  Kristi and Kathy graduated from Lutheran School of Nursing in May 1977. 

 

Rick and Kristi introduced Kathy and me during our time of attending school in St. Louis.  When Kathy and I were married in Memphis, TN, in 1977, Rick was my best man and Kristi was a bridesmaid, who made our wedding cake.  I served as a groomsman or best man in both Rick and Tony’s weddings.  And they were both asked to serve in Kathy’s and my wedding.  Tony and Rick and I have served as pastors and in the Lord’s church for over 40 years, and we have visited each other in the various  places we lived and served around the country.  What I am saying is this: I have some really good friends!

 

God inspired Solomon to write about friends in Proverbs 18: 24, A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” The older I grow the more thankful I become that I have friends, friends who stick close, friends who listen, who encourage, and who help.  I am also thankful for a close, loving family.  Many people I know do not have loving family, nor close friends. God has blessed me with both family and friends.  Thank you, Lord! In fact, even though Pastor Schultz and Pastor Armstrong and I have known each other for over 50 years, longer than I have known my wife, I also have made other really good friends in Alaska, and other places in God’s church.  What a blessing God has given! 

 

However, our best friend really is Jesus.  Listen to Jesus’ words in John 15:15-17. “15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-- fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other.”  If my earthly friends listen, I can go to Jesus in prayer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  You have heard, “You can’t pick your family, but you CAN choose your friends.”  Jesus chose us!  If other friends encourage, correct, and strengthen us, I can trust my Lord to be even more faithful and helpful in His friendship.  Also, my friend, Jesus, calls me to be a friend.

 

But please consider, a real friend does even more. A true friend will sacrifice and give of themselves to help you.  Jesus teaches, “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15: 13)  Therefore, Jesus is our greatest friend.  Our Lord did lay down His life for us, suffering and dying on the cross to pay the debt for our sins.  Jesus died so that we might have eternal life by God’s grace, through faith that Jesus died and rose for us.  Jesus is my best friend!

 

My really good earthly friends and my family know Jesus.  That does not mean that a person who does not know Jesus can’t have friends, or be a friend.  But, when we know the one who lived for us, who died for us, and who rose for us, we can be better friends to one another.  We have a guide as we help, correct, and encourage each other.  We have one who has sacrificed for us, enabling us to give ourselves for those we care about.

 

Do you have friends?  Do you know Jesus?  Are you a friend?

 

A Child of God, Thankful for God’s Gift of Friends, For my Best Friend, Jesus!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.      Here are two pictures of Rev. Dr. Rick Armstrong, Pastor Tony Schultz, and myself at the LCMS Fall Pastor’s Conference, October 4-6 in Whittier.  Next week I will share a picture that includes our wives! J  https://photos.app.goo.gl/dL8JWD9LGTPSvmFB6

 

P.P.S. Here is some St. John News.

 

  • On Saturday, October 9th, the Alaska Celtic Pipes & Drums will hold their Fall concert at St. John at 7:00 p.m. Admission is free, but donations are greatly appreciated, and will benefit ACPD’s Education Fund, and the St. John Youth Group trip to NYG in July 2022.  Come out for an evening of entertainment and support our Youth Group’s NGY Trip in July 2022.

·       “Choose to Be Different” Banquet – Sunday, October 24 at 5:00 p.m. – A celebration Banquet will be held as part of our Choose to Be Different campaign.  The meal will be held at the Palmer Senior Center and catered by St. John member, Rebecca Kopperud.  ALL are asked to attend and celebrate God’s goodness in our midst.

 

P.P.P.S.  I did not go fishing, but here are some Fall pictures.

·       Here is a map from a hike along the Matanuska River on Saturday, October 2.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/NYnUwRDrSip2U8Fv7

 

·       Here are some pictures from a trip to Hatcher Pass on October 4.  Friend, President Paul Linnemann, was also with us.   https://photos.app.goo.gl/rL91QK9N3SNhbFAQ6

 

·       Here are some fall pictures from Whittier and the Pastors’ Conference, October 4-6.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/mah4xsLP9ua7Ftcy9

 

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


No comments:

Post a Comment