Tuesday, March 1, 2022

With God THERE ARE NO 'THROW AWAY CHILDREN!'

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

Perhaps you know that the 2022 Paralympics will be held in Bejing, China, beginning Friday, March 4. Members of St. John Lutheran in Palmer, Alaska, are excited because this is the second Paralympics in which congregational member, Grace Miller, has competed.  Members of St. John have watched Grace grow up, and we are proud of her accomplishments. Even though Grace is now often away at college or in training, it is wonderful to see her grow into a woman of faith who has a zest for life and a plan for the future.  Perhaps you know that Grace graduated from college last year after attending UAF and UAA, and she is now applying to be accepted to study to become a Physician’s Assistant.

 

But, do you know that Grace’s future was not always so bright?  Having been born in China, without all of her left arm, and as a girl, Grace was considered unwanted in that society, and by that government.  It brings tears to my eyes to share that, according to Grace’s mom, Kym, Grace is one of those called a “throw away child.”  Kym told me, “That term ‘throw away child’ is what the Chinese call the children in orphanages. . . I have always been completely honest and matter of fact about how she ended up in her orphanage, . . . in a kind way. I have told her about the ‘1 child policy’, and said that, even though her mother knew that she couldn’t keep her, she left her outside an old folks home right before they opened. She was left under the south branch of a tree to protect her, wrapped in a cloth.”

 

I also researched this issue on the internet.  In a story from September 3, 1995, in The Orlando Sentinel I read, “Reports that hundreds of thousands of crippled, handicapped or unwanted children - most of them girls - are deserted every year by their parents and left in dilapidated state-run nursing homes are haunting communist China as the fourth United Nations World Conference on Women begins Monday in Beijing.”  For those of us who know this beautiful young woman, who has been a good friend to others at St. John, who has proved to be a good student in high school and in college, who has played the trumpet for worship, and who has accomplished much in athletics, it surprises and offends us to think that anyone would want to “throw away” Grace.  Unfortunately, this term is not just used in China. We also hear the term in America.  Those called ‘Throwaway Kids’ are a group whose growing numbers have alarmed social workers, who call them ‘throwaway kids,' young people whose parents do not want them or cannot feed them or abuse them so badly that they cannot go home.” (New York Times, June 3, 1983)  The same tragedy happens in the US too, only without government sanction.  And this term, “Throw away child,” just refers to those who have been born.  Consider the tens of millions of children not allowed to be born because of abortion?  My heart aches for all of these ‘Throw away children!’

 

Yes, being a parent is difficult.  Parenting has always been challenging, and is perhaps more so today.  Yes, we know that some adults do not have the resources to serve as good providers and loving parents.  But, should not our society then find a way so that all children receive love and care?  Jesus told the people of His day, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.” (Mark 10:14)  Should not Jesus’ church help in finding ways to care for these children?  I am thankful for parents, like Kym, who have taken on the challenge of adopting so that those children are loved.  I am thankful for parents whose children have challenges, yet these parents meet the challenges and find ways to care for their children.  I am very thankful for parents who teach their children about Jesus.

 

Let me state plainly, that WITH GOD NO ONE IS A 'THROW AWAY CHILD!'  Please consider just some of the Words of our Lord about His love for us. 

 

We are told in Psalm 139:13-16, 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. 17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!”  God knows us and loves us from conception!

 

The prophet Isaiah teaches us about God’s love for His people.  14 But Zion said, "The LORD has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me." 15 "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! 16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.” (Isaiah 49:14-16)  This verse has to be comforting to a “throw away child.”  Parents cannot forget their children.  But, if a mother could forget, God does not forget us!!!

 

St. Paul affirms God’s love for ALL people when he wrote the Christians in Corinth, And he [Christ] died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.” (2 Corinthians 5:15) When some would throw away another human being, God loves us so much His Son died for us!

 

My wife, Kathy, was talking recently with Grace’s mom, Kym.  After the conversation, Kathy said to me, “It’s amazing what Grace has done!  She’s going back to the place that ‘threw her away’ to compete in the Paralympics!”  But, remember, GOD THROWS NO ONE AWAY!  We can say with the Psalmist, “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever.”  (Psalm 136:1)

 

A Child of God, Thankful that With God there are NO THROW AWAY CHILDREN!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Keeping track of photos in this digital age is amazing.  As I take pictures of church functions and fishing trips, I find I have many pictures of Grace.

·       Here are pictures of Grace in her recent athletic endeavors and competitions.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/5UsdYJTGrbKF8fgW9

 

·       Google Photos keeps track of people by faces. Here is what my Google Photos account found for Grace. https://photos.app.goo.gl/sJAcSTqjSHS34auR9

 

·       Kym also shared this information with me.  If you are ever interested- there is a book called “the lost daughters of China” that is written by a talented Chinese American women author- it explains the harsh result of this situation in China- on the women and families caught up in it. This book is what urged me to explore adoption from China.”

 

P.P.S.  2022 Paralympics Information.

·       The 2022 Paralympic Winter Games will take place from Friday, March 4 – Sunday, March 13.

·       Here is a TV Schedule for the Paralympic games I found on the Internet: https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/cross-country-skiing/paralympics

 

P.P.P.S.   Kathy and I have worked to try to give Christian care to children.  Among other donations we make, we donate monthly to the following ministries which give Christian care to children.  Have you found a way to share Jesus’ love?

·       Heartreach Crisis Pregnancy Center in Wasilla.  https://www.heartreachalaska.com

 

·       Compassion International.  Over the last 25-30 years our family has sponsored 3 young girls in Christian centers in Ethiopia.  https://www.compassion.com  

 

P.P.P.P.S.  Yes, on a lighter note I did go fishing twice in the last week.

·       On Thursday, February 24, I fished on the Suwannee River with brother-in-law Mark Reaves.  We saw LOTS of gators, and caught a couple of fish which we threw back.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/zqAQpLdPiUfnxkUq5

 

·       On Tuesday, March 1, I went fishing by myself at Rodman Reservoir.  The fishing was slow, but I had 6 bites and caught two nice bass.  I also saw two manatees.  Here are pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/HFvaFxD8wchs4hyP7

 

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment