Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Listening to the Message of the Mountains . . . Mountains Which God Created

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Has the beauty, the grandeur, the power of the mountains around us in Alaska ever struck you?  I do know that the mountains used to catch the attention of my mother in law, Alice Tobin.  After a stroke in 1996, Kathy’s mom lived with us in one way or another, beginning in March of 1997.  This elderly daughter of God, who was born in Shreveport, LA, and who lived most of her life in Memphis, TN, spent the last 12 years of her life in Palmer, Alaska, of all places.  As her years progressed, her mind became fuzzy at times.  So, as we drove her from our home to the Pioneer Home, we often heard her exclaim, “Look at those mountains!  Have they always been there?”  Perhaps her mind was still in Memphis, and she was surprised by the mountains of Palmer.  The thing is, the mountains of Alaska really caught her attention, again and again. 

 

On Tuesday, July 26, Kathy, and Mary, and I were driving from Sterling to Palmer.  As we were traveling through Turnagain Pass the splendor of the mountains surrounding me caught my attention again, and almost overwhelmed me with their presence, their beauty and grandeur.  They towered high above the road on which we drove, filling the windshield and windows.  The rock cliffs stood out.  Green meadows gave contrast to the black fields of shale.  The streams of runoff from the rain and the snow melt cascaded down from the heights.  It is hard not to catch your breath when confronted with the creation of God!

 

We in Alaska are truly blessed, because the creation around us stands out so obviously that the hand of God is difficult to miss.  I have recently also been fishing on the Kenai River, and fished with a dip net at the mouth of the Kasilof River.  I have traveled into Cook Inlet and fished for halibut.  The sound of the rushing rivers, the beating of waves on shore, the bouncing of the boat on the incoming and outgoing tides, and the swells caused by the wind, all speak of power greater than anything I know or possess.  But, perhaps the imposing height and beauty of the mountains catches my breath most often.

 

As we drove through Turnagain Pass and the mountains caught my attention, and my awe, I thought of Psalm 121.  Actually, in my early days in Palmer, as I visited the home of Herb and Claire Kopperud, I read this Psalm.  Claire calmly declared, “O, The Palmer Psalm.”  Please consider God’s truth with me in this short prayer of ascent.

“1 I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from?

            2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.

            3 He will not let your foot slip-- he who watches over you will not slumber;

            4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

            5 The LORD watches over you-- the LORD is your shade at your right hand;

            6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.

            7 The LORD will keep you from all harm-- he will watch over your life;

8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and

forevermore.”

 

The trouble in the world around me often causes me concern.  I have friends who are ill, some with cancer, some with back troubles, some with breathing issues, and many more with other illnesses and injuries.  I know family and friends who are struggling because of difficult or even toxic relationships.  I pray for folks I care about who have made some bad choices in life, and are struggling to regain a healthy place in life.  Add to those concerns for people I love, other concerns about our world, our country, and the health of our Lord’s Church as we seek to proclaim the Gospel of forgiveness and salvation found in Jesus.

 

Yet, in the midst of all those concerns, the hills, no THE MOUNTAINS, stand out.  They proclaim power, and permanence, and beauty, which only come from God Himself.  And yes, the truth of Psalm 121 comes obviously to my mind and my heart.  “I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? 2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.” (Psalm 121 vv. 1-2)  The Creator and Lord of all helps us with the troubles, the concerns, the suffering and trials of life.  He after all made our world.  The Lord is greater than any trouble we face.  He cares for us night and day, physically and spiritually, now and eternally.    In fact, God teaches us in the final verse of Psalm 121, “the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” The One who made these mountains is also the one who has overcome the sin and suffering and death which plague our world.  The Creator of All is also the Savior of All in the incarnation, in the perfect life, in the suffering and death and resurrection of Jesus.  In a world full of concerns, the One who created the mountains offers eternity through faith in His Son!

 

So, in answer to my mother in law’s question, “Look at those mountains!  Have they always been there?” I have an answer.  “Yes, the mountains have always been there.  At least they have existed in this world as long as our Creator has been active in forming and sustaining our world.”  And, just as long as the mountains have existed, God has loved us.  He promises His powerful help in this world.  Our Father promises to redeem us in our Savior, Jesus.  When I am struck by the impressive presence of these mountains, that is what they speak to me.

 

A Child of God, Listening to the Message from the Mountains Which God Created!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Just a note.  While Alice, my mother in law, had a fuzzy mind at times in her final years, I also remember times of total clarity.  I especially remember a day in 2006 when I was visiting with her in the hospital.  She had fallen and broken her leg.  Part of her treatment was a blood transfusion.  When receiving new blood she knew all the details of our life and hers.  She knew her grandchildren, and what they were doing, and where she lived, and she understood about the mountains. J

 

P.P.S.  This was a GREAT WEEK for fishing.

·       I went Dip Netting on Wednesday, July 20, with friend, Wayne Mize.  We were blessed to hit a GREAT DAY!  We dipped 33 salmon in an hour and 45 minutes.   https://photos.app.goo.gl/XxX86D7X7hPwg9FK9  

 

·       I had the priviledge of halibut fishing with friend, Fred Vasilie, and Pastor CRAIG Schultz, on Thursday, July 21. We caught a limit of really nice fish. https://photos.app.goo.gl/fdDvMPm6zs6Sxd9SA

  

·       I took my oldest son, Josh Rockey, dip netting, on Friday, July 22, along with his oldest children, Jake, and Emma.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rk7N4taumd1EuTwV9

 

·       I went on a planned halibut fishing with daughter Mary, friend, Pastor TONY Schultz (and family friends), on Monday morning, July 25. https://photos.app.goo.gl/pikgvKwMmod1gPKf7

 

·       After halibut fishing on Monday morning, we went salmon fishing with a pole on Monday afternoon.  Our group included daughter, Mary, friend, Pastor TONY Schultz, and his family friends.    https://photos.app.goo.gl/kFxNghsu7DJMdV1FA

 

WHEW!  I WAS TIRED.

 

P.P.P.S.  I read a prayer in Monday’s devotions which also spoke to my heart.  Perhaps you will appreciate this prayer:

            FATHER, let the light of your truth guide us to your kingdom through a world filled with lights contrary to your own.  “Christian” is the name and the gospel we glory in.  May your love make us what you have called us to be.  We ask this through Christ, our Lord.  Amen. (For All the Saints, Volume IV, page 230.)

 

 

*****

 

 

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1a)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment