Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Seeking to Live a Healthy Life, in Body and Spirit, in an Unhealthy World!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

On July 13 I visited my doctor for my yearly check-up.  I have taken a yearly physical for over 40 years.  Often my physicians have found no troubles.  My family doctor, Dr. Wade Erickson, used to tell me, “You’re boring.”  But, about 6 years ago I had some blood sugar issues which we have addressed.  However, Dr. Erickson taught me that I could do much to combat my symptoms myself, if I ate right and exercised regularly.  So, I followed a low-carb diet.  I went to the gym about 3 times a week.  I tried my best to do what I was told.  And it seemed to work. 

 

But, as I grow older, next May I turn 70, some of my efforts do not seem to work as well.  In addition, I have not perhaps been as faithful in my visits to the gym.  I was doing great, even during travels, until COVID came along.  The gyms I visited shut down.  I was no longer allowed to visit.  I had to find other ways to exercise.  I took up walking during my golf games, and made sure I got out fishing.  The walking during golfing helped, until I hurt my left knee in July of 2021. But, even though the gyms are open again, I got out of the habit of going to the gymnasium, of using the elliptical for 30 minutes, of lifting weights, and stretching, and walking.  I still go to the gymnasium from time to time.  But, I’m am not there every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday the way I used to be.  Hmmmm.

 

So, as I visited Doctor Erickson this week, he me asked if I’m still exercising.  I confessed, “Some, but not the way I was exercising before COVID.  I got out of the habit and I have had trouble getting back into it.”  I know that planned regular exercise is good for me.  But, I am just not back to the regular exercise I did previously.

 

I heard someone confess the same thing to me this past week concerning her worship attendance.  “I got out of the habit during COVID and I haven’t been back the way I should.”  Christian churches are struggling in our changing culture anyway.  People are busier.  Many in our culture don’t even want to hear about God.  Failures in churches cause people to think twice about belonging to a Christian congregation.  But, in the midst of those struggles, when COVID hit our world in March 2020, it had a big negative effect on churches.  Governments, trying to deal with the spread of this virus as they thought best, shut down businesses, and schools, and churches.  There are so many views on this illness, who really knows what is going on, other than the Lord of all?  But, in some ways, COVID was like a kick in the gut to worship attendance in American churches.

 

There are MANY verses in Scripture about how important worship is for people of God.  The third (depending on how you number them) commandment states, “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.”  (Exodus 20:8)  In Colossians Paul encourages the fellowship of worship to the believers in Colossae, 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Colossians 3:16-17.  See also Ephesians 5:19-20).  Worship is a way that God’s people teach, and correct, and encourage one another in the grace God gives in Jesus.  Worship in person with other believers is important.  And the writer to the Hebrews has taught that worship is vital to keeping one’s faith healthy, “23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-- and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” (Hebrews 10:23-25)  Worship is not only important for us and for our faith, worship is our Lord’s plan for children of God to encourage one another, and to “spur one another on toward love and good works.”  We don’t want to just “get out of the habit” of worshiping, regularly, with other fellow believers.

 

COVID seems to be changing, with all the different variants.  In addition, our society seems to be getting back to a “new normal.”  When Kathy and I traveled recently, we were not required to wear masks in airports or on domestic flights, though masks were still required for international flights.  Churches are meeting in person again, and have been doing so for 2 years.  And, we do need the encouragement of God’s Word and the Sacrament.  We do need the fellowship of other Christian believers.

 

I may be somewhat out of the habit of going to the gym . . . regularly.  Though do still go.  But, I found out when visiting Dr. Erickson that exercise does still help my health.  My blood pressure was down some.  And, Kathy and I both lost 4 pounds during our recent travels.  On our cruise we often walked up and down some of the 17 flights of stairs on the ship instead of taking the elevator.  We took excursions each day to learn about each new place.  We visited the sights on shore, walking many miles.  My fit bit said I usually walked between 10,000 and 15,000 steps a day, and did about 30 flights of stairs a day. Dr. Erickson said.  “You really lost 15 pounds, because most people gain 10 pounds on a cruise.  If you came back 5 pounds light, you lost 15.”

 

Regular weekly worship, in person with other believers, is a way that God cares for our faith, and a way we share God’s unconditional love in Jesus with others.  We don’t want to get out of the good habit of this spiritual discipline.  In this time when the world seems to be going crazy, regular worship of our all-powerful and loving Lord, is more important than ever.

 

A Child of God, Seeking to Live a Healthy Life, in Body and Spirit, in an Unhealthy World!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  I did get out this week.

·       I had not tried out my boat yet this year, because king salmon numbers are down and because, except for the Eklutna Tailrace, there is no retaining of kings in the valley this year.  HOWEVER, I did put the boat in the water on Friday evening, July 8.  Family was visiting and my oldest son, Josh, and I took 3 of his kids, my grandkids, for a boat ride.  We did also wet some lines, but on that windy night did not get any bites.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/bcWfVi2Kf3iguaiH9

 

·       On Monday, July 11, I did some dip-netting on the Kasilof River with friend, Wayne Mize.  Fishing was slow, but we got 3 red salmon.  Here is a picture. https://photos.app.goo.gl/amdLTtwy69jHK7PCA

 

P.P.S.  I took a picture on Tuesday night, July 12.  My grandson, Jackson, is now taller than I am.  (Though, I still weigh more than he does.)  Here is a picture.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/jnM9VMPDDJSJphxHA

 

P.P.P.S.   If you just want to look at ALL our travel pictures which are online (we have others), here is a link to the whole Google Photos album.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/vMtFgxj7H15dwWK59

 

 *****

 

 

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1a)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment